Weapon feedback

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
goldenboy

Re: Weapon feedback

Post by goldenboy »

Most of the weapons in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. Especially most pistols (great animations), SVU, Groza, shotguns.

The weapons of Far Cry 2, especially that bolt action sniper rifle - M1903 iirc, and the AK. This game might be a bit shallow, but it has nice guns.

RMQ super shotgun, especially Demo2 version.

Quake lightning gun.

Doom 3 pistol, after I upped the damage via script.

Red 9 in RE4.

Hunter rifle in Prey, zoomed.

The weapons of Crysis (1), especially pistol, AK74 and SCAR, although they feel very "tight" / "hi-tech" to me and I now prefer a looser / oldschool vibe.
mh

Post by mh »

The Settler Pistol in Rage. There's immense satisfaction to be had once you put some Fatboys in it and start headshotting bandits.

I'm a huge fan of the Doom 3 shotgun. It's my primary weapon for most of the game and it's easily capable of taking almost anything out.

Similarly Quake 2's SSG.

With Quake weapons I don't have a preference and generally tend to cycle through them all according to circumstances. Each has it's uses (aside from the regular NG) and each is simple but functional (even the regular SG is good for fast-quadding mobs of zombies, which is always good fun). They get the job done but they're nothing special, which - oddly enough - I don't actually see as a flaw. I like simple in weapons, and too many alt-fire modes/etc I find to be distracting from the primary job of mayhem and carnage.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Spiney

Post by Spiney »

I was pretty impressed by the immense feedback of the weapons in this UT2K4 mod:
http://youtu.be/DTGKwuCzVpA

The Acid Sprayer in Pray. Basically shoots 'molecular acid' ( remember Alien ) over a long range.
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/33 ... _super.png

Bio Rifle in UT3 is pretty satisfying, I think something of an acid Shotgun with alt fire bioblob would be awesome.
I like how you can lob a full blob at someone and It'll stick to them for a second before they meet their certain doom, haha. It also gives them time for a last ditch effort to kill you.
http://conceptart.org/forums/attachment ... 1172235440

The handgun in Half Life is quite satisfying

I'm quite fond of the plasma rifle in Doom3 also, it's slightly annoying to use sometimes, but it just feels very powerful.
I also think seeing blood splats appear on a wall behind the target really adds a lot to the feeling of strength a weapon, same with environmental effects.
Having puffs of dirt and smoke being tossed up makes it that much better. Weapon feedback is as much on the receiver end as the sender's I think.