strange thing with vector macros

Discuss programming topics that involve the OpenGL API.
revelator

strange thing with vector macros

Post by revelator »

something i noticed while fiddling with vertex lights.

original glColor4f (color[0] * l, color[1] * l, color[2] * l, alpha) things work as expected.

with VectorScale(color, l, color); glColor4f (color[0], color[1], color[2], alpha); which should give the same result the lighting does not change with the angles ??? is this a bug.
Productivity is a state of mind.
Spike

Re: strange thing with vector macros

Post by Spike »

depends if color is an int[3] or a vec3_t/float[3]
revelator

Post by revelator »

float [3] same as output so im a little stumped as to why this aint working correctly :/
r00k

Post by r00k »

Is vectorScale any faster? why not just go with what works?
revelator

Post by revelator »

Might not be any faster but i was planning to use it in several places where things could be made simpler but with these results id be crazy to do it :mrgreen:

strange newer the less.
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

you've mucked something else up, probably because the 'color' variable got modified by the VectorScale() call.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Probably but its weird. See i can do the same routine as the VectorScale macro uses and it works if i restrict it to the function where i want to use it but if i use the global macro it breaks.
I have a strange hunch that some other function using the VectorScale macro is bleeding data and corrupting the output.

Maybe if i write the output to a new vec3_t initialized to 0 it will work ? worth a try.

something like
vec3_t rgb = {0,0,0};
and probably also the lightscale
float l = 0;

l = vertexligtfunc(yadda,yadda,yadda); // nope my code does not look like this :) examplary use only.

VectorScale(color, l, rgb); glColor4f(rgb[0], rgb[1], rgb[2], alpha);
revelator

Post by revelator »

Hmm initializing the vectors to zero fixed it so it seems something was modifying the values.
Thanks for the help though :)
mh

Post by mh »

You should actually be able to do this without needing a VectorScale at all, and even in the fixed pipeline too. Look at GL_ARB_texture_env_combine - what you'll want is to set shadelight as the environment constant colour, the shadedots lookup as the per-vertex colour, and set up the combiners to evaluate GL_CONSTANT_ARB * GL_PRIMARY_COLOR_ARB * GL_TEXTURE. That would remove the need to do some per-vertex calculations on the CPU so it should run faster, although whether or not it's measurably faster depends on other factors in your code. But all the same, getting things off the CPU and onto the GPU where they belong is the right thing IMO.

This should work on any graphics hardware from a TNT2 upwards. Shaders would of course be better yet again.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
revelator

Post by revelator »

Sounds like an interresting way of doing it ill give it a try :) thanks.

Might even be possible to do hardware point lighting by using combiners but that might be a tad slow (idea from looking at some older tenebrae code).
mh

Post by mh »

You can do attenuation maps using combiners easily enough, but it's not really going to be productive. Overdraw stacks up very quickly with traditionally lit Quake maps - 50x or more in some places in e1m1 for example. It can seem kinda neat to push the limits of the fixed pipeline in this way, but in reality you're coding to hardware that nobody really has anymore, and even if you do identify someone who has such old hardware, this kind of thing is going to be so slow on it anyway that you may as well have not bothered.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
revelator

Post by revelator »

i suspected as much. hmm i really need to read some more on glsl (if i ever get time) im working for the government now :shock:
Btw for a small laugh for once nvidia was not to blame for driver crashes it turned out to be flash in combination with firefox that caused the black screen o death cases :lol:
I suspect were going to see a lot of those edge cases in the future as things get more complicated :)