MoveFool, proof of concept, suggestions & feedback

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
WickedShell

MoveFool, proof of concept, suggestions & feedback

Post by WickedShell »

This is something I've been working on for the last couple weeks part time. It's the first real thing I've done for Quake, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or feedback on what I've done. I'm not the best person at coming up with long term goals, I achieved my short term ones here, and other then some refactoring to eliminate tick rate dependent/multilayer breaking stuff I'm not sure where to go next.

Anywho, the goal for this mod is a high speed player movement and control. I'm aiming for a feel/cross between Portal game play and quake jumping. The main gimmick is a grappling hook, that plays a bit different then most I've encountered (but that doesn't mean much as I'm new to the quake community within the last 3 years and have missed a lot f great mod's and there hey-day's). There is also a mantle that allows you to climb over some barriers you normally couldn't, just jump towards a wall about the players height, to trigger while moving forward.

What's here is the compiled progs, and a map I made for testing (including a the map source, but not the .qc). The map consists of a series of room's where the goal is to get to the teleporter to the next one. Any surface is grappable except for purple walls, and teleporters them selves. Textures are all placeholder (created by me), but the art style that's there draws heavily from whiteroom. (It fit the goal of simple for a non mapper (me) to figure out, and it provides orientation while moving at high speed.

What I'm hoping for is feedback; is it terrible, should I abort, suggestions, game play tweaks, ideas of things to work towards/stretch for. I'm looking mostly for code suggestions, but map one's are okay to.

Known flaws; tickrate dependent grappling hook, and most common map entities are not provided, (no func_ and few trigger_'s) and any functionality not needed by my code was gutted. Indeed this started off from Ender's from scratch tutorials much thanks for those, it made exploring the engine and learning much easier. No animations are provided at the moment, as that was not gameplay related, so it fell to a back burner for me.

Dependency's; the jump sounds from id1, as well as v_spike.mdl and player.mdl.

Apparently I can't upload attachment's here, so you can find it all zipped up here.

Thanks for your time.

PS. If I botched part of the release protocol for this sorta stuff I don't know about please let me know so I can fix it.
goldenboy

Re: MoveFool, proof of concept, suggestions & feedback

Post by goldenboy »

Nice.

Like Whiteroom, it's hard on the eyes though, maybe a Warsow-like toy/celshaded look would be better eventually.

The grapple extension speed could be higher, so you can more easily grapple stuff in midair.

Also, it seems the grapple line can sometimes act like a bungee cord, maybe you could even use the grapple to gain height / accelerate yourself.

Also, try "Bort's swinging grapple" by Perecli Manole (swhook13.zip). It has to be in the idgames mirrors somewhere. Best grapple mod for Quake I've seen. Yours is also good, though.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Please move the readme.txt into the mod directory next time or (but this is a worse alternative) name it according to the mod moveFool.txt. No-one likes having readme.txt files being overwritten.

If you want to make Unix people happy, then lowercase everything.

I wondered how to use the grappling hook until I read the readme head to bottom.

Fun idea! A bit too abstract for my liking though, lighting might help.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
WickedShell

Post by WickedShell »

@GB
Warsow style graphics would probably be cleaner at high speed, what's there is about as good as a first time mapping could reasonably result in from me, and is placeholder. But I guess I'll stick some time into working on the graphics at somepoint.

I sped it up a bit now, does speed it up play a fair amount, and helps remove the situation of slow upward hook launch if your falling to fast. (Also discovered I stuck in a the version that allows grappling onto the tele's (oops).

I took a look and couldn't find that on a mirror, but I was probably looking in the wrong spot. I'll keep my eyes open.

@spike
You sir are absolutely right about the position of the readme, I hate it when things overwrite each other, but I never thought of that. I can move the explanation somewhere more prominent. (I will probably fold the grappling hook into it's own gun at somepoint, and associate view models with it and all that, which would help in terms of bindings).

Hm... I'm actually a *nix person, and did all my work on a nix system (although the final zip compilation was from windows), I didn't realize I'd bother others to have it camel cased. I'll swap that, I just never thought about it as I've always been camel casing my programs, etc. But that's a legacy from when I was first learning how to code.

Thanks for the feedback :) Sounds like I need some graphics, and better challenges on the maps, and to get coop working... Again thanks for testing!
Spike

Post by Spike »

I can understand on irc... but here?
WickedShell

Post by WickedShell »

huh?
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

To clear up your confusion:
You miscredited spike. That is all.
WickedShell

Post by WickedShell »

........ /headdesk :oops:

Your absolutely right. My bad, I meant spirit.