Quake Non Copyright Violating Torrent

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
hondobondo

Quake Non Copyright Violating Torrent

Post by hondobondo »

i have an enormous collection of Quake 1 related stuff (~8 GB) collected over the past 15 years or so... my question is would anyone be interested in me creating a torrent and passing it out? i would definitely not include the id1 pak files unless i could get a guarantee from those i sent the torrent to that they have the original game. anyway, let me know if you have any questions about the content or whatever
Spirit

Re: Quake Non Copyright Violating Torrent

Post by Spirit »

Keep in mind that many maps (probably mods too?) do not allow distribution else than in their original zip file.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Chip

Post by Chip »

hondobondo wrote:i have an enormous collection of Quake 1 related stuff (~8 GB) collected over the past 15 years or so... my question is would anyone be interested in me creating a torrent and passing it out? i would definitely not include the id1 pak files unless i could get a guarantee from those i sent the torrent to that they have the original game. anyway, let me know if you have any questions about the content or whatever
I could use some of that content, or archive some mods on QuakeWiki.net.

I would take the torrent. And I do have the original Quake, bought a long, long time ago.

@Spirit: I will not add maps to my site, that's what you do. And I'll make sure that mods posting respect the GPL terms in the included license files.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Spirit wrote:Keep in mind that many maps (probably mods too?) do not allow distribution else than in their original zip file.
If he put the files in the list of files that the torrent downloads and kept them in their original form I think he would be fine.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. :p
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
hondobondo

Post by hondobondo »

yeah i will definitely leave everything as is. no one file rar crud. that way you can decide what you want to download or not
Chip

Post by Chip »

hondobondo wrote:yeah i will definitely leave everything as is. no one file rar crud. that way you can decide what you want to download or not
Great :P
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

ironically for something called a non-copyright violating torrent you could be violating copyrights of authors' work by smudging them into one big fat file they didn't ask to be redistributed in (much like shovelware which stirred controversy here and there in the past for no permission being repacked, etc). Some communities (such as MUGEN) even call this "warehousing", and find this offensive and demotivating as well

what i'd do is approach it with an elimination process for each archive (This is the same process I use here):

1. if it exists on idgames2 ftp, mark for removal. if not, step 2
2. if it exists on quaddicted, mark for removal. if not, step 3
3. if it exists on evileplanet, gamefront or anywhere else, mark for removal. if not step 4
4. Read the readme file for distribution clauses. if not forbidden, step 5
5. To the files repository (or whatever error's hosting) it goes!

Keep in mind some authors intentionally remove their own work in fear of something like this torrent you're doing. I couldn't find some of bal's maps for example
Chip wrote:And I'll make sure that mods posting respect the GPL terms in the included license files.
.....seeing as there's very few actual GPL mods (Extras, Orange, Suckmods) you'll have a hard time doing that. I'm not sure you're aware that the QuakeC 1.01 and 1.06 source release from Aug/Sep 1996, in which many mods were based on, isn't GPL licensed.
i should not be here
hondobondo

Post by hondobondo »

leileilol wrote:ironically for something called a non-copyright violating torrent you could be violating copyrights of authors' work by smudging them into one big fat file they didn't ask to be redistributed in (much like shovelware which stirred controversy here and there in the past for no permission being repacked, etc). Some communities (such as MUGEN) even call this "warehousing", and find this offensive and demotivating as well

what i'd do is approach it with an elimination process for each archive (This is the same process I use here):

1. if it exists on idgames2 ftp, mark for removal. if not, step 2
2. if it exists on quaddicted, mark for removal. if not, step 3
3. if it exists on evileplanet, gamefront or anywhere else, mark for removal. if not step 4
4. Read the readme file for distribution clauses. if not forbidden, step 5
5. To the files repository (or whatever error's hosting) it goes!

Keep in mind some authors intentionally remove their own work in fear of something like this torrent you're doing. I couldn't find some of bal's maps for example
Chip wrote:And I'll make sure that mods posting respect the GPL terms in the included license files.
.....seeing as there's very few actual GPL mods (Extras, Orange, Suckmods) you'll have a hard time doing that. I'm not sure you're aware that the QuakeC 1.01 and 1.06 source release from Aug/Sep 1996, in which many mods were based on, isn't GPL licensed.

ummmmm ..... like i said, i wont be smudging everything into one enormous file. and i'm specifically creating this to avoid having to redownload 1000s of files from dozens of sites
hondobondo

Post by hondobondo »

specifically, i have two directories on my machine, one is the quake game, and the other is all kinds of quake downloads. i will be creating the torrent from the second, minus quake and expansion pak files, my superduper quake files made from the duke nukem hrp, and shrek. i think the rest are all available on the net somewhere. i can email a directory listing to anyone whos interested
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Have you considered also uploading this stuff to quaketastic.com ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Electro

Post by Electro »

leileilol: i like the lost mods page you have going there. SO much history :D
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/