What is the deal with Valve?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Ranger366 wrote:Half-Life's weapons were awesome, would like to see them in Quake though.
I already ported some over, but I can't release them... because of Valve :roll: .
What if you completely retextured them and modified the mesh a bit (going low poly)?

Any screenshots?
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

Chip wrote:What if you completely retextured them and modified the mesh a bit (going low poly)?
I'm using a non-retail mesh for the pistol i found in the SDK. It also was used in an early Office Complex demonstration video.
Textures on my mesh were taken from the Half-Life: Day One demo.

Chip wrote:Any screenshots?

Texture looks pretty ugly in software mode. :lol:
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

with Quark 6.6 beta 4 you can convert an mdl from half life to a md3 with just a click :) :)
it´s great!
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
thorn3001

Post by thorn3001 »

I prefer use Milkshape 3d, because I can control the animations in the smd or use 3d Max with the smd plugin.
A easy program to convert HL models to MD3 is Quick3d viewer 4.0

Thorn
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Labman nailed it, Unreal was out the door a bit earlier, looked significantly better, gave a good amount of player choice and exploration, had excellent AI for the time (and still solid for now) and it accented with scripts, rather than filling out.

reckless; I find it curious that you find HL more story driven, as I find Unreal to have the deeper story, the escape from the crashed prison ship, the discovering of the Nali people, the initial encounters with the Skaarj, the searching of the ISV Kran, the realization of the Nali savior prophecy and where you stand in it - all this while exploring the Nali cultural aspects and major settings, discovering the Skaarj employment of the Krall and the Mercenaries, witnessing the in-fighting therein, and then the stories within stories as seen in Bluff Eversmoking, a story which retraces the steps of a human bound in the monastery cells, who gets help in escaping by a Nali refugee living in the sewers below and assists him in escaping to the bell tower. There are many moments of such things throughout Unreal, episodes of convincing the player of their ability, of the Skaarj's injustice, of the Nali's nobility and how the player is in a position to free them, and thus takes the fight to the Skaarj host ship orbiting the planet.

In Half-Life you pushed a cart with a rock into a laser beam, oh no teleporters, now there are bad things. The introduction of soldiers as an opponent instead of a rescuer was novel, though they spoiled the surprise of it thoroughly through dozens of previews and advertisements. Then you go and fight the main alien, and then it is over.

Yes I know it is an unfair summary, but I find HL devoid of all the wonderful touches and explorations that Unreal had in spades, on top of the more interesting (not Doom) story. Unreal is plenty story driven, it is just not story dictated and mandated, there is room for gameplay and player choice in all of it.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I agree, HL's story is basically the one from DOOM (and even Quake), only more fleshed out.
revelator

Post by revelator »

hehe it was not my attempt at spawning a war i like unreal pretty much and still play it from time to time.

unreal had a story no doubt it just wasnt close up and personal
all the time where as HL actually had you participate or (perish) :P

and im fully in agreement about it being a ripoff of sorts (hey major teleporter catastrophy...) now where did i see that before.

then again in quake and doom (not doom 3) you newer actually see the event leading up to the mess you have to wade through,
half-life has you there from the beginning.

we could go on :) but for the sake of both our mental states ill stop going further.

as some wise man once said we can allways agree that we disagree ;)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

So, in Unreal you get into the story, while in HL the story gets into you.

I feel even more inclined to play Unreal now. I've got a copy around here, but never installed it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
revelator

Post by revelator »

its quite good and the gfx are pretty nice to for an engine that old.

unreal water beats quake water by miles :) and theres birds (or something) in the sky (btw they sting so take em down hehe).
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Unreal 1 is my favourite single-player experience ever. Nothing ever matched it... or its magnificent soundtrack.

This video gives me chills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utHahu-8NFQ :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
revelator

Post by revelator »

if its your first time dont try hugging the brutes hulk smash takes on a new meaning.

later on theres some huge lizzard thingies... get to close and you go splat on its mighty foot get to far and he throws the freaking mount everest on you :lol:

its quite enjoyable :)