Quake Expo 2011

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Wixen1 [Q2C]

Post by Wixen1 [Q2C] »

Spirit wrote:That is problematic. The whole of Germany uses dynamic IP addresses that change every 24h or on reconnect. So even if he manages to register with a "clean" IP address he might come back later as evil hacker terrorist.

If you are worried about spam I would suggest installing something like Akismet instead.
Thanks Spirit. I have just looked at the Akismet and it seems like I could use that or some of the other ones like Mollom, Defensio, and Typepad Antispam.
Do you have any experiences with these programs?
-W1
8)
The Quake 2 Café Admin

Wixen1 [Q2C]

Post by Wixen1 [Q2C] »

reckless wrote:not sure if its any help but denmark also use dynamic ip's a workaround i used often to not have to setup a redirect for my ftp server was going to one of the numerous sites that can snif your external ip adress.

once you get the ip number go into settings for your network card
and hit properties. now change the get ip adress automatically to use this ip adress and enter the ip you got in step one.

you also need to change the subnet mask to what your router uses mine is 255.255.255.0

and offcourse set the gateway adress to your routers (example 192.168.0.1) correct one should be in the papers for your router.

you should now have a fixed ip adress with the ip you got from that site.

it works here in denmark so it should work elsewhere but try it out.

P.s dont change ipv6 protocol only ipv4 is relevant.
Thanks reckless, very informativ.
Will you have to do changes every time you start your PC if you have a dynamic IP adress?.
-W1
8)
The Quake 2 Café Admin

Spike

Post by Spike »

following reckless' advice is antisocial - especially if you switch your computer off. It'll cause other users of that isp to obtain new ips, which will break any active tcp connections. You may end up receiving their packets as well as yours (which may count towards your bandwidth cap), or they might end up receiving yours, with you unable to make new connections until they obtain a new ip, which, depending upon the dhcp server, they may be unable to do.
Its an evil hack, and any ISP that does permit it really won't like you doing it.
The configuration changes will generally persist, yes. But be warned that if your ISP changes the block you're assigned to, *all* replies will go to someone else (or nowhere), which would nessecitate default settings and then repeating the process.

If its not _your_ IP, you shouldn't be claiming it. simple as that. Its only yours for the duration of its lease, at which time you must renew it if you want to keep it without breaking yours or other people's connections.
revelator

Post by revelator »

its indeed a hack and should only be used as a last way out.
allthough i newer had any problems using it take in mind that if your on a line shared with several users then spikes warning will indeed come into effect.

if your line is not shared there might be some things to take in mind but generally i havent had any problems using it.
negke

Post by negke »

QUAKE EXPO 2011 IS LIVE

Well, that was kinda unexpected... some booths are still empty.
Note that Madfox seems to have made three identical booths by accident, or rather added two faulty ones along his intended one.
The booth/event seperation feels somewhat odd. I can either make Q1SM a booth or an event, but as an event it won't be shown on the booth index. It looks like I'll have to change it back into a booth once the results are in. So I hope you're not going to close the QEXPO site prematurely as well. I might have to make the deadline for the SM pack a little earlier so people have a chance to see the maps.

Can you add a link to the IRC channel like last time? #qexpo at irc.anynet.org - I forgot how the exact irc link syntax is. If people don't have an IRC client installed, they can also use the web app on mibbit.com.

Another link for the Q2 section: apparently Q2Reloaded is the other important Q2 site beside the Q2Cafe.
Wixen1 [Q2C]

Post by Wixen1 [Q2C] »

DrDire wrote:just wanted to say that i think its your loss for not allowing Negke access to your forum, the whole dirty IP thing seems ridiculous to me.

Way to go for making a small community even smaller by not allowing people who are actually interested in the subject matter, and talented as well, be blocked from it.

"oh no, he could be hijacked and post some spam on our precious message boards (with code and design from what seems like 15 years ago)"

just my opinion :twisted:
Man, I can't believe I am responding to this silly post...I must be getting very old!

"just wanted to say that i think its your loss for not allowing Negke access to your forum, the whole dirty IP thing seems ridiculous to me."

So, it's a loss for the Café not having negke, you say DrDire!?. Are you serious!, a small Quake2 mappers forum as us should need negke?, how and what would he do?, come every day and tell us about mapping in quake2. And if he has that big a potential, why hasen't he arrived 7 years ago when we started the Cafë?. (Remember this has nothing to do with negke, but the safety of the Café).
About 5 years ago, an about 12 year old kid joined the Café, he did not talked dirty or was degrading the Café like you, but spoke with the mappers who was around and showed off his projects. Later on, maybe 2 years after, he made the mod of the Café; Strogdm!, and become the coding wiz, Paril, which I am sure everybody in the community knows about today!.

"Way to go for making a small community even smaller by not allowing people who are actually interested in the subject matter, and talented as well, be blocked from it."

Well, I don't think we can get any smaller, the game is so old now, that we all should be proud, still to be here!. Ohh, well, I could shut down the Café...but that would be nasty to the most prominent mappers still alive and kicking, namely people like Maric, spirit, Jester, Le Ray, margaal, skeletor, WizardExt...and many many more, which has given us Quake2 lovers so much and is still visiting the Café on a regular basic. I will not let go of nearly 500 members, almost 25,000 posts and 8 Quake2 mapping contest in the last 7 years for anything!, especially not for a small minded little prick like you DrDire!. What are you?, like 8 years old?.

We don't block anyone, which has a decent approach and an hounest behavior. A clean IP, so we don't have to spend our time on removing spam/hacker and all kind of rubbish. We try to be a responsible, "almost" adult forum!. So, if you don't have the $5 to get a solid IP, maybe you are to young to join the Café. Or maybe you are just some of the people we are getting OUT of our forum!.

"oh no, he could be hijacked and post some spam on our precious message boards (with code and design from what seems like 15 years ago)"

Yep, you are right, we did had some hijackers and a lot of spammers, even people posting illegal contents, virus, stalking, stealing identities and more, which our members did not like!, so we took care of the problem. (even had a complaint from the forum host about all of this shit!).

And if you think you can insult me with your bad attitude about our old forum, you are wrong!. Although I am sure all the members, writers, mappers, viewers and players of The Quake2 Café could have that feeling and might remember your name, maybe just for a little while!.

"just my opinion Twisted Evil"

DrDire, I see you have joined this forum 2 weeks ago and made 7 posts!, you have a big future here Iam sure.

-W1
The Q2Café - The Kitsch Forum..15 years of Quake is nothing!
The Quake 2 Café Admin

DrDire

Post by DrDire »

No need for name calling and getting all worked up...

Why not try to just back up the old forum as an archive, lock it, and start fresh with a new message board software package? Maybe you can even use the database to transfer the new users to the new message board without having to bug the old members sign up again?

And I've been around here for quite a while, just decided to make an alias change after a few years.

Best of luck
Wixen1 [Q2C]

Post by Wixen1 [Q2C] »

DrDire wrote:No need for name calling and getting all worked up...

Why not try to just back up the old forum as an archive, lock it, and start fresh with a new message board software package? Maybe you can even use the database to transfer the new users to the new message board without having to bug the old members sign up again?

And I've been around here for quite a while, just decided to make an alias change after a few years.

Best of luck
This just prove that you keep on insulting the Café, as if you have read the post/threads, you would know by now, it is not possible to make a backup of the forum.

Time has proven that people in the Quake community only change their alias when they have done something bad or are unwanted, in best cases, done nothing for the quake community at all.
Which one are you?.

-W1
The Q2Café - The Kitsch Forum..15 years of Quake is nothing!
The Quake 2 Café Admin

Baker

Post by Baker »

Chip, I'm sure you've got a lot going on but I just wanted to ask this (too lazy to read every single post) ...

Do you have some sort of rolling news scheme setup or planned like previous Quake Expos where you do some sort of news blob once or twice a day with showcases of various stuffs?

I'm asking because, like normal, most booths are in various states of non-completeness but as they emerge ... well, you know its a Quake Expo.

Also it would be good to have some sentimental narrator say stuff from time to time (a scar3crow-like/Sajt-like person or wordy mapper).
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Does your forum check IP only on registration or on each connection?
Yes, I use Akismet.

Chip:
- Comments on booths would be nice.
- Forum is inaccessible for unregistered users
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
enclave

Post by enclave »

Hi all,

Looks like the Expo is off to a good start, I'd just like to second the motion to have more updates on the main page, it feels a little to quiet.

Thanks for organising the event, I've been look forward to it for weeks!

Enclave
"The Art Of Quake Booth"
negke

News

Post by negke »

Seconded. And maybe the news should be on top of the page, the (very spacious) random booths and events boxes below.

Wixen1 & DrDire: Take it easy, this is not an issue worth going political over or anything.
Wixen1 [Q2C]

Post by Wixen1 [Q2C] »

Spirit wrote:Does your forum check IP only on registration or on each connection?
Yes, I use Akismet.
Yes, it check on every connection. Do you have the time to instuct me how to use Akismet, maybe by email or in a PM. That would be great, so we don't spam this thread.
-W1
8)
The Quake 2 Café Admin

Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Is there an IRC channel this year where everyone is hanging out? If so, you should have it listed on the main Qexpo page.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

irc.anynet.org #qexpo also #qc and #darkplaces
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.