md2 models

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
ajay

md2 models

Post by ajay »

Found some interesting models here: http://www.md2.sitters-electronics.nl/models.htm

Having problems running them in Darkplaces, model is showing but unskinned, with the following error: "Invalide skin coordinate, reverting to ....."

Is there a usual reason/solution for this? Although DP shows the models qme 3.0 crashes when loading it.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i tried to download one and it wouldnt even dl.

edit: nvm i got it.

qme wont load the skins either.
Nahuel

Re: md2 models

Post by Nahuel »

mmm, thanks for the Site. These models are GNU and grEat.
I could use the models but I had to do some "strange" things.
First to import the skins with quark, because some models do not have assigned skins. I opened them with the quark and then I imported them with
toolboxes-texture browser - edit-import files - make file links and I imported the skins in format pcx (8 bits to avoid problems and after I use 32 bits).
YES!!! this is the way to import skins with quark.Well, then I put the models in the directory of the models of my mod (progs) together with the correspondent skins.
when I iproved with the darkplaces the model was seen without SKIN.
OPS!
what I did was simply to put the skin in the directory of the mod, BEcausethe skins should not be in the directory progs, but in the same mod directory (same folder directory progs, sound, maps etc.).
Because the engine calls from there.This is really ugly but one can repair putting one texture.pk3 with all the skins (I believe that it would work) or one pak2.pak or something like that.

I believe, nevertheless, that another solution consists (once we have imported the skins in the quark) to transform the models md2 to mdl.this would be another solution.
I hope to have explained myself, sorry for my English.

hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Nahuel wrote:These models are GNU and grEat.
I wouldn't count on that. This artist plagiarised work from commercial games. He licenses stuff that's not his under the GNU GPL, including work of copyrighted likenesses (you can't GPL a Doom monster)

I made him cry pointing out his woman and rat models coming right out of Deus Ex once. When he couldn't deny anymore, he threatens ...
i should not be here
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

leileilol wrote:
Nahuel wrote:These models are GNU and grEat.
I wouldn't count on that. This artist plagiarised work from commercial games.

I made him cry pointing out his woman and rat models coming right out of Deus Ex once. When he couldn't deny anymore, he threatens ...

:( :(
deus ex machina???
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

So, you're not aware of the greatest game released last decade?

Do yourself a favor and buy it then play it
i should not be here
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

leileilol wrote:So, you're not aware of the greatest game released last decade?

Do yourself a favor and buy it then play it
I regret being so ignorant, I do not know this game.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Although last decade was really spectacular, hehehe
ajay

Post by ajay »

Thanks leileilol I was kind of guessing that they looked too good to be true.
Is there a way to know which are appropriate to use and which aren't? Or are they all dodgy?

EDIT:
Although to be honest it's a somewhat pointless as 1) I can't get the models to load their textures in an editor and (slightly less problematically admittedly, as if I could save them w/ textures and get QME 3.0 happy with them I could sort it) their a little out of scale
ajay

Post by ajay »

Update:
Well qwalk managed to load, apply the skin and conver them nicely. Just need to clarify which are appropriate ones to use. I certainly don't want the doom, deus ex ones. Hopefully some are legit.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Just a couple questions:

How do I load an MD2 Model through QC? Do I just precache it just like I would precache an mdl, and load it like an MDL?

Code: Select all

setmodel(self, "progs/v_shot.md2");?
Also, How does the game read the Texture path. When exporting the model and you have to define the texture path, do you have to define its exact path? Or is there some shortcut that would allow you to Move the Texture location. Because what if you rename the folder, wouldn't the md2 file get confused and not know where to find the texture?
behind_you

Post by behind_you »

Mexicouger wrote:Just a couple questions:

How do I load an MD2 Model through QC? Do I just precache it just like I would precache an mdl, and load it like an MDL?

Code: Select all

setmodel(self, "progs/v_shot.md2");?
precisely. rename your model from model.md2 to model.mdl if using darkplaces.

Mexicouger wrote: Also, How does the game read the Texture path. When exporting the model and you have to define the texture path, do you have to define its exact path? Or is there some shortcut that would allow you to Move the Texture location. Because what if you rename the folder, wouldn't the md2 file get confused and not know where to find the texture?
put the texture in the same folder of the model and name it modelname.mdl_0.tga. if that doesn't work, open the md2 in qme or something and find the name of the texture it wants to load. rename your texture accordingly.
MichaelSteve

Post by MichaelSteve »

I notice that most of the models on this site are from UFO: Alien Invasion, which to my knowledge is GNU