QuakeDev.com downtime and request for archival

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
LordHavoc

QuakeDev.com downtime and request for archival

Post by LordHavoc »

Today, QuakeDev.com suddenly vanished off the face of the internet, due to a lack of money.

This has temporarily impacted at least two in-development games:
SteelStorm whose subversion server is hosted at QuakeDev.com
Blood Omnicide: Legacy of Kain whose subversion server is hosted at QuakeDev.com

Both of these subversion servers will be migrated to new hosting (thanks to icculus.org for this) as soon as the subversion history can be retrieved, and SteelStorm's release date should be unaffected.

After Echon put significant effort into determining the status of the server and rescuing it from the gaping maws of death (I.E. server wipe), I footed the bill to get it back online for another month.

An archival backup will be made after it gets back online, affected projects should probably seek alternative hosting unless someone wishes to take over the site and keep paying the bills (in the vicinity of $130/month).

Should someone revive the QuakeDev site?

What projects are important to keep online?
Last edited by LordHavoc on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

130/month is a little steep for me, though I do wish someone could step up and foot the bill. That is incredibly sad that another great community site faces annihilation.

Shit, I only spend about $10 a month for Slipgate Construct.

LordHavoc, I know this is off topic, but since you are footing the bill now, I'd like to personally save the QExpo sites, and the Quake File Archive on my site.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Didn't consciously realize past QuakeExpo sites were hosted there. That'd be a huge loss.

[I have some old stuff hosted there, but I keep about 8 backups of about everything I haven't done in the last 30 days so ...]

Aw hell ... the RQuake Coop Server SVN is there, I remember that as Lardarse hosted it.

And the Quake Retexturing Project !@!
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

How about my buddies Dr.S, Sajt, Urre, etc?
i should not be here
Baker

Post by Baker »

And frag.machine ...

Gyro????? (Quake Matt)
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I know nothing of svn, but I can host anyone on slipgateconstruct.com if needed.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Problems like this are why I've moved Makaqu to Google Code.

And Tumblr is great because of the Tumblr Post extension for Firefox, but their server gets down so many times it makes me want to move the blog's content to either Blogspot (which is also owned by Google) or WordPress.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
r00k

Post by r00k »

time to start downloading all versions of everything there....
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

It's back up, in case anyone didn't realize.

An answer to the question - "what to save" must be made within a month, unless someone wants to continue the site :)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Error: What do I need to do to move my site over to slipgateconstruct.com?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Anyone wanting to transfer their site to slipgateconstruct.com, please PM me (or through irc). Let me know what you would like your subdomain called, and I'll set it up ASAP. If you'd like to personalize your password, let me know that as well.

I don't think I should tell you not to tell me your password choice here. :lol:

All transfers are up to the hosted site owner. (you)

Dr. : Let me know.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

wgetting the webpages in progress.

edit:

you cannot wget mirror qexpo2001.quakedev.com with a simple -m because the site never stops serving more IDs for non-existant booths.

facelift.quakedev.com does some stupid download tracking through php and you will download their files many times because of this.

facelift.quakedev.com is full of spam.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I'd wait a few days for the clients of quakedev to be aware of the situation so they can make backups and begin their migrating, before everyone goes archive crazy on everything (which is only necessary for the unmaintained like qexpo (which i believe is well archived on some dvds anyway)
i should not be here
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

http://quakery.quakedev.com/qwiki/index.php/Main_P
Back it up! I'd hate to see it go again..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

That one's up to sajt
i should not be here