Quake Expo 2011

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Spirit

Quake Expo 2011

Post by Spirit »

This year is Quake's 15th birthday, so obviously a QExpo has to be happening.

This is an incredible chance to expose our community/-ties to the "outside world". This could be a main goal. Find all smaller communities (local or niche), make them more visible to the world. Introduce people to Quake as it is today (and with that I do not mean wood textures that glow in the dark or models that make Michael Jackson look black).

Date:
We should find out what "the internet" uses as birthdate for Quake so we have it running by then. A lot of sites will post about Quake being 15 years old so we want to have them link to QExpo in the same breath.

Hosting:
We should use the quakeexpo.com domain. I guess Echon is still controlling it?
We should not use a third-party forum.

If no-one steps up to provide hoster-agnostic (ie not branded with one specific site/community), I would volunteer to rent a server/space for the month. Afterwards we shall make the site static and provide an archive right away.

Special Projects:
Can we interview more of the original developers? I tried to get through to Trent Reznor but had no luck. Collect questions from the community?
100 Quake1 mods in 10 minutes? Bombard Youtube with Quake videos?

What do you think?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Chip

Post by Chip »

Great idea! If Echon is available, the expo should be hosted with quakeexpo.com. We should also use this forum, maybe a special category, Quake Expo 2011 (obviously), and yeah, good idea with other sites linking.

Regarding the Youtube videos, again a good idea. Past expos only used text and images, we should add movies, too, be it Youtube, Vimeo or anything else.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Let's ask Romero to make a map. :P
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
OneManClan

Post by OneManClan »

Chip wrote:Great idea! If Echon is available, the expo should be hosted with quakeexpo.com. We should also use this forum, maybe a special category, Quake Expo 2011 (obviously), and yeah, good idea with other sites linking.

Regarding the Youtube videos, again a good idea. Past expos only used text and images, we should add movies, too, be it Youtube, Vimeo or anything else.
+1
r00k

Post by r00k »

Date:
We should find out what "the internet" uses as birthdate for Quake so we have it running by then. A lot of sites will post about Quake being 15 years old so we want to have them link to QExpo in the same breath.
"Quake is a first-person shooter video game that was released by id Software on June 22, 1996." -wikipedia

That falls on a wednesday this year so the whole week of the 19th - 25th? Thats less that FIVE months away!!!!
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

June 22 is the shareware release, granted the shareware is excellent, so that is a perfectly valid one. QExpo06 was centered around July 22 which was the registered release.

If I become unhomeless, I can try reaching out to some of the original developers. Also, jehar may be a good asset to create some non-text content for it.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

scar3crow wrote:June 22 is the shareware release,
This is correct. In particular, the 0.91 Quake shareware release.

Don't forget, Doom always had its birthday celebrated on December 10 which marks the 1.0 shareware release.

Also, don't always trust internet game news sources for release dates of old games. Gamespot listed Quake as a May 1996 release, Hexen II as a March 1998 release, and so on...
i should not be here
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Let's use June 22. Online media often is about who posts about something first, so people will probably use that date for their articles/posts/links. I found http://games.slashdot.org/story/06/06/2 ... uake-is-10 with a quick search.
That falls on a wednesday this year so the whole week of the 19th - 25th?
Sounds perfect to me!
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Chip

Post by Chip »

22 it is!

If Echon is not available, I'll be glad to provide hosting on expo.quakewiki.net. No charge of course.

5 months is enough for all of us to reconsider scopes, priorities and everything else and have some demos or betas out. No need for full games.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

I'm in! :D
I'd love to pop my qexpo cherry! (Only had the opportunity once in the last 4 years and I missed out)
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Sounds great! I've been super-busy work in the last few years and will probably be so at least until the end of May, but I'm hoping to catch a little bit of a break over the summer. Mid-July would work best for me (it would give me more time to prepare), but I'm fine with mid-june, too, if it works for everyone else :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
r00k

Post by r00k »

:P From june 22nd (sw) to July 22nd(retail) A month EXPO! :P
hmm... jk
MasterSplinter

Post by MasterSplinter »

I'm gonna open my own booth called QuakeOne.net. Complete with 2 cosplay characters of Master Splinter and Heathcliff.

It will be a fun filled day of photos and autographs.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

If there is interest:

Thanks to a new offer from my webhost I could grab some domain for free and also easily host the event with it. I guess the code from the previous ones would be available, who would be up for maintaining that? Would someone be willing to make a kickass design. We could ask the http://www.quakeone.com/reforged/ guys.

www.quakeexpo2011.com ? That would have the benefit of being future-safe, a later quakeexpo would not override the old links. I would turn it static after the event is over and provide an archived file.

The earlier we get the foundation set up, the better we can prepare special content.

r00k, no, history has shown that a long QExpo is a bad idea. One week is perfect.
necros

Post by necros »

hey, just wondering if anything was happening on the qexpo front for this year.

i only ask because i have a couple of things for sure that i can release soonish, but i'd rather save them for a qexpo if there is one. it's been ages since i've had stuff to release during one that was new and not old left-over stuff.

maybe it's a little early?