CSQC, MenuQC, effectinfo.txt, skeletal models -> Makaqu

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
motorsep

CSQC, MenuQC, effectinfo.txt, skeletal models -> Makaqu

Post by motorsep »

Looking for someone to port CSQC, MenuQC, effectinfo.txt from DP / FTE to Makaqu engine. Also need to add skeletal model format (SMD or MD5 or IQM or DPM) if possible.

Possibly paid job (not whole a lot, but something better than nothing).

Thanks.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Porting that to a heavily modified fragile software engine? GOOD LUCK.

you've got a better chance getting LH to make a DP software renderer than to put modern stuff in a winquake derivative, and i mean any winquake derivative. not even engoo is a good platform for it, and fteqw ditched its software renderer.

If this is about wider support for steelstorm, then frankensteining modern stuff onto winquake is not a solution for that problem
i should not be here
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Well, the reason for me choosing Makaqu is due to it's Dreamcast support. That's the only engine I know that runs on Dreamcast (or rather the only one available for download).
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

The dreamcast is too slow for this kind of thing. If you want development for the dreamcast you'd have to start over. Not only that but the market is so sparse for it so it's a waste of effort.
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

Porting CSQC is NOT a trivial job. Nobody's going to do this unless they have a speciffic requirement for it. Forget it, sorry.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Aye. I guess it would be easier to just code HUD and Menu in the engine :)
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

leileilol wrote:The dreamcast is too slow for this kind of thing. If you want development for the dreamcast you'd have to start over. Not only that but the market is so sparse for it so it's a waste of effort.
Nonsense!!!!!

The market is grand, new RETAIL games come out every single year!!!

(These RETAIL games aren't homebrew, they are RETAIL games you PAY for).

There are tons of active communities!!!!!

The Dreamcast is powerful, I actually think its more powerful then the PSP if I'm not mistaken.

If you want to do this, by all means port it, this would be insanely amazing!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Team Xlink wrote:The market is grand, new RETAIL games come out every single year!!!
Team Xlink wrote:The Dreamcast is powerful
Okay....... what rabidly obsessed and delusional Dreamcast fan gave you the red pill today?
i should not be here
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

leileilol wrote:
Team Xlink wrote:The market is grand, new RETAIL games come out every single year!!!
Team Xlink wrote:The Dreamcast is powerful
Okay....... what rabidly obsessed and delusional Dreamcast fan gave you the red pill today?
I'm sure the Dreamcast can handle CSQC, I'm sure most platforms from the previous few years can. It would be great to have a lighter, simpler implementation of CSQC that mirrors SSQC, but I doubt we'll ever see the day.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Downsider wrote:It would be great to have a lighter, simpler implementation of CSQC that mirrors SSQC, but I doubt we'll ever see the day.
If all it does is to reimplement ssqc, then its pointless - you may as well use pure ssqc.
csqc's utility comes from the fact that its not ssqc, and as part of that it somewhat expects that the renderer is a somewhat separate part of the client rather than being tightly glued to the client's networking code, and that's why its a pain to port.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Spike wrote:
Downsider wrote:It would be great to have a lighter, simpler implementation of CSQC that mirrors SSQC, but I doubt we'll ever see the day.
If all it does is to reimplement ssqc, then its pointless - you may as well use pure ssqc.
csqc's utility comes from the fact that its not ssqc, and as part of that it somewhat expects that the renderer is a somewhat separate part of the client rather than being tightly glued to the client's networking code, and that's why its a pain to port.
Not to some people. Not everybody wants CSQC for x feature, I just want an easier to work with interface for clientside processing, such as proprietary movement prediction, rendering HUD elements, drawing local models, etc. without having to wait for the server to respond. Binding functions to do X isn't really a feature of CSQC so much as just a function that it happens to be bound to.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

motorsep wrote:Aye. I guess it would be easier to just code HUD and Menu in the engine :)
If this is all you wanted to do, YES, do it in the engine! CSQC is not something that somebody can implement in an engine for $50 on a weekend. (Believe me... the $50 and that weekend can be better spent... *COUGH*) And even if you had CSQC and MenuQC implemented, it might still be easier to do the menus/hud in the engine code.

As for massive renovations (and skeletal model format) to Dreamcast engine... hmm, I'm not sure why you're still hanging around this old console.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Let's put it that way - Dreamcast is not dead, the market is there (EU and Japan). How do I know? Our publisher still publishes DC games, in 2011. They (publisher) stated that DC games sells better than 80% of XBLA games.

Also DC is the only console that is open to indies and GPL engines, and has Quake engine running on it (Makaqu) :)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

That's... surprising. :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

.. Plain as they are maybe compared to Darkplaces, FTE, and Makaqu the Wii has at least 2 ported Quake engines that I know of and everyone focuses on the psp or the far older DC. ((shrugs))) ..Makes no sense to me..