MP1: SoA - Laser Cannon Remodel - Need Assistance

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
ooppee

MP1: SoA - Laser Cannon Remodel - Need Assistance

Post by ooppee »

Hi there I have been doing a remodel of the Scourge of Armagon Laser Cannon - however I am HORRIBLE at unwrapping a model for skinning. I can do it sometimes but this model is just not working for me (unwrapping).
Was wondering if someone could help me out, I have it already split into groups which are colored.

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod-re ... annon.html

This is my work in progress thread.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

have you been making this in milkshape?
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

Made using Lightwave 3D and Milkshape 3D.
I tried 3D Studio Max for the mapping - however it's been so long since I've used it I couldnt figure it out (I was without a PC for 2yrs - so just back into modelling).
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

ahh ic. well i would suggest learning 3ds max again. it makes everything millions times easier. 2011 runs very smoothly im running it on this netbook which is a pos. look up a couple tutorials on youtube. otherwise i suggest you check out lith unwrap.
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

Thanks for the tip on Lith Unwrap - I ended up using a program called "Ultimate Unwrap" and did exactly what I needed :)

http://img217.imageshack.us/i/almostdonetexturing.jpg/
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

ceriux wrote: otherwise i suggest you check out lith unwrap.
OH HELL NO

I'd suggest Blender to unwrap the model. Use .OBJ as an exchange format to-and-fro

the seam marking feature plus the coooool pin live unwrapping will make unwrapping a snap for you!
i should not be here
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

ooppee that looks pretty bad ass =)
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

are you using photoshop for textures? and are you gunna animate the barrels or something?
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

Paintshop Pro 7. I did use some of Quake Retexturing Project's textures as a base (to ensure it keeps the Quake look).
For the barrels - yeah they will animate like the original model - 2 lower barells fire together followed by top itself.
With Darkplaces - the red areas will glow in and out (shaders file) if all goes well. Since I have the mesh - making this effect by splitting the mesh into 2 texture areas - that will be easy.
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

Got her running ingame - now for animations (shaders are secondary)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

lookin pretty damn good man =D
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

ooppee wrote:Got her running ingame - now for animations (shaders are secondary)
Looks made of wood :D But pretty cool, actually.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

looks like heavy layered rust to me =p
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

Re-did the entire view model.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4sxepq
It's a test version - uses the old firing animation of the old view model - so firing is wonky. Just compiled it so people can see it ingame and see the pickup model with the animated glowing shader.
More skinwork was done too. Need Darkplaces to use this as it uses the "framegroups" file. So if used in other engines may get glitches.[/u][/i]