ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Baker wrote:Out of curiosity, which Rich are you? I'd offer some guesses but I'd probably be wrong. Not knowing bugs me :D
Haha, I guess there are a number of us Richards hanging around now. I'm the one that worked at Raven/Human Head on Soldier, Jedi, and Prey games. And I made a bunch of Quake/Half-Life mods earlier on before I started working in the industry. I guess the Jumbot for HL was the most popular one. I most recently made this forum account to comment on the Noesis (game data conversion/preview tool I've been piling stuff onto for a while now) thread. Which scar3crow created, because Noesis has import+export support for mdl/md2/md3. And that seems to have led to me randomly sticking my nose into other threads on here. :)

Oh, and I've been hanging around in #qc for years now. I was in #botepidemic and #qc many years before my that, but I left and forgot about the whole community for years in between. Then Human Head was looking for programmers, and somehow I thought of FrikaC. So I went back to #qc and was like "hey FrikaC want a job?", and then I stayed. And he joined me at Human Head for a while, and we got our souls sucked out together. But then I quit to go make my own stupid crappy games and live off of contract jobs.
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

I never said it makes no fun because of the file types, its buggy as hell. and the coverted models and maps look damn bad.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

When I was reading Riches post about a new model format for PSP Quake, Baker was in my mind the entire time. Wierd :?
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Rich wrote:
Downsider wrote:I've got HL MDL in my engine and it works perfectly fine; and I save a crapload of RAM so I'd hardly call it a mistake.
It may use less memory that storing lots of vertex frames in memory, but it's still a terrible format to use natively on PSP hardware. As mentioned, maybe you can live with it, but in doing so you've just committed yourself to living with a lower performance ceiling. Better to just do it right to begin with and avoid the whole mess of supporting even more model formats later on just to get a better framerate. (with the added hassle of trying to get people to actually use your more optimal format)

In the end, an engine on an embedded system really ought to just support the minimal number of formats, and let tools handle getting everything else into those formats. The PC world is for supporting everything in the world natively and jamming horses and midgets into your codebase until it's got a 10MB footprint.
The hardware skinning support is said to be awful, just like the hardware clipping.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Downsider wrote:The hardware skinning support is said to be awful, just like the hardware clipping.
Haha, pretty much every major commercial title on the platform with skeletal models+animations has utilized hardware skinning to great effect. Just look at God of War, Dissidia, or any other title which transforms 3,000+ vertices per character. Dissidia is a great example - they spend most of their geometry budget on skinned character models, with some characters containing over 5,000 weighted vertices. This is a game that barely even does any computation on the CPU, and they still saw benefit to offload the skinning transforms to the GPU.

Who has said that the hardware skinning is "awful"? I would like to hear this person's validations for their claims. (though I can fairly well predict that anyone making such a claim is likely misguided and basing their opinion on poor preconceptions about draw batching)
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Rich wrote:
Downsider wrote:The hardware skinning support is said to be awful, just like the hardware clipping.
Haha, pretty much every major commercial title on the platform with skeletal models+animations has utilized hardware skinning to great effect. Just look at God of War, Dissidia, or any other title which transforms 3,000+ vertices per character. Dissidia is a great example - they spend most of their geometry budget on skinned character models, with some characters containing over 5,000 weighted vertices. This is a game that barely even does any computation on the CPU, and they still saw benefit to offload the skinning transforms to the GPU.

Who has said that the hardware skinning is "awful"? I would like to hear this person's validations for their claims. (though I can fairly well predict that anyone making such a claim is likely misguided and basing their opinion on poor preconceptions about draw batching)
I saw some thread on ps2dev that showed a demo of CPU skinning and hardware skinning running against each other and the hardware skinning made the demo drop to around 8 FPS or something. Might've been a freak occurance or a poor implementation but hey, that's what I remember.
UrbanKid

proquake is awesome!

Post by UrbanKid »

Proquake is awesome! but can you tell me what is the tris and verts
limit?
Baker

Post by Baker »

I stuck with exactly the Kurok limits, which are higher than many "GLQuake" derived engines [since it is absolutely imperative that the PSP version be able to run Kurok and no doubt MDave bumped the limits to support his models].

#define MAXALIASVERTS 5120
#define MAXALIASFRAMES 256
#define MAXALIASTRIS 2048

http://bladebattles.com/kurok/SVN/psp/v ... re_model.h
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

ok good to know thouse :)
UrbanKid

Hmmm

Post by UrbanKid »

Edited* hmm what is the texture size?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Biodude wrote:I really like your engine, baker, but external wad support would be great to have, besides the fact of the memory usage
The next version will have that in the source code, but won't be in the binary. You will be able to enable it by changing removing the comment from "//#define SUPPORTS_EXTERNAL_WAD3" in version.h and recompiling.

I think external WAD files are a bad idea and breaks the idea that all you need to have a map is have the .bsp.

But still, I occasionally enable external WAD support for testing.
UrbanKid wrote:Edited* hmm what is the texture size?
The texture size of what?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Baker wrote:
Biodude wrote:I really like your engine, baker, but external wad support would be great to have, besides the fact of the memory usage
The next version will have that in the source code, but won't be in the binary. You will be able to enable it by changing removing the comment from "//#define SUPPORTS_EXTERNAL_WAD3" in version.h and recompiling.

I think external WAD files are a bad idea and breaks the idea that all you need to have a map is have the .bsp.

But still, I occasionally enable external WAD support for testing.
UrbanKid wrote:Edited* hmm what is the texture size?
The texture size of what?
Cant wait XD

and i think he meant what us the largest supported resolution
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

I want to get good enough at C where I can port over the code from bakers engine to my own. And then I want to get good enough to write my own HLBSP code. Easier said than done, But I have Quite a drive to do it.
Hazematman

Post by Hazematman »

I was wondering how do I switch game dir in proquake psp, im trying to run scourge of armageddon on my psp. sorry if this question has been answerd before.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Mexicouger wrote:I want to get good enough at C where I can port over the code from bakers engine to my own. And then I want to get good enough to write my own HLBSP code. Easier said than done, But I have Quite a drive to do it.
I got good enough to port Over HLBSP to my engine :D (Kinda old news though. Happened over a month ago)