News - mh releases multithread colored light/lit compiler

Important information from InsideQC staff and news post discussion threads.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

News - mh releases multithread colored light/lit compiler

Post by scar3crow »

mh has released a new light tool, after having tested it by compiling the largest ReMakeQuake map. The tool is based off of Aguirre's Light, modified for colored light and LIT support, following LordHavoc's QLIT1 standard. On top of that, it is now multithreaded for a great increase in performance, alas it is Windows only at present, though mh does seem interested in hearing from anyone willing to port it.

Go give it a download (courtesy of Quaketastic)!
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Aww, bummer, I thought this was going to be a MHColour2009 that worked.

p.s. any future for supporting radiosity/amb occ lighting?! sure it'll look wrong, but... i've never seen quake on it. gpl source for qrad is found on the gtkradiant svn
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

I did a working q1rad a coupla years ago but you're right, the lighting looked completely wrong as the light entities in Q1 maps are not set up for radiosity. You also lose the big dramatic shadows that add so much to Quake's atmosphere.

I think it was based on the HL tool source so I couldn't really release it. :(

Anyway, heads up that there is going to be a release 2 of this particular tool just as soon as we work through a few more things with it.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Still waiting for someone to make a tool that lets you "paint" on the lightmap in a 3D view :(
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Downsider wrote:Still waiting for someone to make a tool that lets you "paint" on the lightmap in a 3D view :(
indeed would be cool
mh

Post by mh »

leileilol wrote:Aww, bummer, I thought this was going to be a MHColour2009 that worked.
Oh, if I must.....

WinMHColour 2010

:lol:
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

mh wrote: :lol:
It crashes during compile when the screen changes (i.e. fullscreen quake all of a sudden or the computer 'locking' itself to sleep)

DARN i have to wait for 2011!!!

p.s. Malice looks really really cool using this tool. That TC had a LOT of fullbright usage.
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

leileilol wrote:
mh wrote: :lol:
It crashes during compile when the screen changes (i.e. fullscreen quake all of a sudden or the computer 'locking' itself to sleep)

DARN i have to wait for 2011!!!

p.s. Malice looks really really cool using this tool. That TC had a LOT of fullbright usage.
I'm gonna have to tell you what the doctor told the patient who said "it hurts every time I do this"...
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Another bug - the folder interface can't see compressed folders.
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

leileilol wrote:Another bug - the folder interface can't see compressed folders.
I deliberately didn't support compressed folders in the original code but don't ask me why - it was a year and a half ago after all. So this one is "by design".
Electro

Post by Electro »

Radiosity is SO much better for creating realistic lighting. Of course it breaks with any map that hasn't had lighting done to take into account the bounces. Just have it off by default, definitely worth having in there though. :)
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
mh

Post by mh »

Electro wrote:Radiosity is SO much better for creating realistic lighting. Of course it breaks with any map that hasn't had lighting done to take into account the bounces. Just have it off by default, definitely worth having in there though. :)
True that, but I'm not certain that better realism is a worthwhile goal. One of the things you lose with radiosity is the great big dramatic shadows in Q1 maps, which do so much to add to the atmosphere.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Have played this somewhat; have a question - how much time does it tend to add to compiling? I closed it up after an 2 hours (the whole process; QBSP, LIGHT (normal) and VIS (not full, admittedly) is currently only taking about 15mins for the map) would MHLight add that much more time?
mh

Post by mh »

It shouldn't take any longer (and may be faster) than standard light.exe
ajay

Post by ajay »

Just tried it again; again it's taking hours, in fact I've left it overnight and it's still not finished. There are a lot of light entities, but not for the size of the map, if that makes sense - could it be a Windows 7 issue?