Fimg - FINAL ish

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Fimg - FINAL ish

Post by FrikaC »

Fimg is a Windows 32 bit (Should be compatible with Windows 95 onward) image editor designed for editing game sprites and images. It currently works with Quake SPR Sprite, WAD2 and Lmp along with a smattering standard image formats. The base image format support is provided by DevIL.

I developed Fimg for editing the new (and as of yet unfinalized) Qake sprite format that will appear in the next version of Qake. However, my secondary goal was to make a tool to basically replace AdQuedit's functionality, as AdQuedit has several issues (such as being known for deleting people's mods and not working with sprites containing framegroups).

I also have the secondary goal of making it a general image viewer, encompassing all the features of my favorite viewer WebImage, but that goal is still a long way off. The current state of the program completely mimics all relevant AdQuedit functionality. The features I considered irrelevant are of course PAK file extracting, model scaling / skin editing (which I may one day add, but I suspect people would just rather use qME for this task) Although Fimg has features that support Mip textures in wad2, Fimg is really best suited for editing gfx.wad only, much the same as Adquedit). Fimg correctly zero-fills wad entry names, unlike Adquedit, so wads edited in it will not be messed up with GLQuake (See QIP).

It's also useful, if you're using a primitive image editor that does not support editing of alpha channels in 32 bit targas (such as those used in DarkPlaces and other engine mods), for editing the alpha channel of such images. When doing this, I recommend using the Copy and Paste Alpha Channel commands from the Edit menu to import and export directly from your image editor.

As it has support for all the (important) AdQuedit features, I feel it's time for a beta test. Download the file here.

http://www.inside3d.com/frikbot/fimg/fimg_v018.zip

If you crash the program, notice some bugs or just have general comments or questions about the program, reply to this message or drop me an email (my address is listed in the included help file). I'd love to hear what people think about the program and if you find it useful or not. I'm also particularly interested to know if it operates on other Windows platforms or emulators. It is programmed in C using only the core Windows API and GDI, so it should be quite compatible.

Link Updated 4/18/2006 - Final Beta posted. Fimg is 'done' unless someone finds a serious bug or has a reasonable feature request.
Last edited by FrikaC on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Oh, I should note it works with all the qtest sprites also.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

qtest sprites aren't different are they, adquedit can open them too
i should not be here
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Qtest sprites:

s_bubble.spr: More frames than the regular quake one, but otherwise nothing special. Adquedit can open it.
s_light.spr: Again, more frames than the regular quake one. Adquedit can open it.
s_light2.spr: Single frame wall torch. Adquedit can open it.
s_puff.spr: Small sprite. Adquedit can open it.
s_stat1.spr: 4 frame statue. Adquedit can open it.
s_stat2.spr: 1 frame statue. Adquedit can open it.
s_telep.spr: Doom's teleport sprite. Adquedit can open it.
s_torch.spr: Doom's teleport sprite again, only this time in a framegroup. Adquedit displays nothing.
s_torch2.spr: Floor torch, contains a framegroup. Adquedit displays nothing.
s_torch3.spr: Different floor torch, contains a framegroup. Adquedit displays nothing.
s_torch4.spr: Wall torch, contains a framegroup. Adquedit displays nothing.
s_torch5.spr: Small floor torch. Contains a framegroup. Adquedit displays nothing.
s_torch6.spr: Large yellow flame. Contains a framegroup. Adquedit displays nothing.
s_torch7.spr: Small yellow flame. Contains a framegroup. Adquedit displays nothing.
s_torch8.spr: Small white flame. Contains a framegroup. Adquedit displays nothing.
shots.spr: Contains 2 frame groups along with many free standing frames. Adquedit says "Invalid size for spr" or something along those lines and freezes. It has to be End Task'ed

Fimg loads all of the qtest sprites without fail.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Any feature requests, comments, anything? I thought about posting a new beta, but based on the complete lack of interest I may just not bother.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

The palette stuff we talked about :)
Also, I'm not entirely sure how the wad stuff works. Is it possible to create wads with this? Do you have to create groups to add an image to the wad?
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I'm downloading it now.

EDIT:
This thing is totally awesome! :D

I'm definatly going to replace Adquedit with this. And anybody who's seesawing about getting this should stop seesawing and get it. And while you're at it, give Frik a few kind words for this excellent tool!
Last edited by Dr. Shadowborg on Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Alright, here's a new beta

<< Link Removed, Check First Post >>

* Added support for SPR32 (Darkplaces)
* Added an Undo Command
* All menu options and toolbar buttons are now 'context sensitive' and turn gray (Disabled) when they are not usable.
* Added scrollbars,
* Fixed bug: Change Color Depth -> 32 Bit did not change to 32 Bit
* Fixed Bug: On choosing New from the menu, Fimg asks if you want to continue if the image is unsaved, however, whatever your answer, it would continue anyway because it didn't check the return value.
* Added JPG Compression option to file properties (only shows up on standard images loaded through DevIL)
* Added RLE Compression option to file properties (only shows up on standard images loaded through DevIL, only applies to TGA and BMP)
* Added a nasty hack to get 'compressed' GIFs working 'properly'(compressed meaning some silly editor abused transparency and "Remove Image With Nothing" flag in an attempt to get a smaller file) This hack however screws up properly animated transparent gifs. So I'm iffy here.
* Rearranged the palette editor to be neater
* Added almost all of the DevIL filters to the menu. (Had problems with Saturation, so that has been dropped)
* Images using a color key (Including Quake sprites and Quake gfx) have a viewable/convertable/exportable 'alpha channel' now.
* Palette Editor additional commands (Add/Remove Colors, Edit Alpha mode)
Last edited by FrikaC on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Megazoid

Post by Megazoid »

It just so happens I am going to mess around with a bit of worldcraft and an image editor will come in handy. I'll let you know how it goes. :D
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Sajt wrote:Also, I'm not entirely sure how the wad stuff works. Is it possible to create wads with this? Do you have to create groups to add an image to the wad?
I should write some things about wad editing in the help file. Basically my intention with WAD editing, since there's so many programs that already handle this is to do what Quark cannot and what Adquedit can only do: edit gfx.wad.

Opening a gfx.wad will display the first image in the wad, you will notice down in the group selection box in the lower right the name of the entry. You can drop down to any entry and view the graphics, from the animation menu you can import or export the image contained there. If the entry is a miptex, it will consist of four frames, each one being a submip. Use the frame bar to view each one.

To manually add a new graphic (there's little reason to, but here's how to do it), choose Groups->add and type a name, import the image(s) and then choose group properties. Go to Advanced Edit, add a field called "Entry Type" and make it a WAD Data Type. Select Quake Lmp for standard status bag graphics, Quake Mip Tex for textures and Raw for Conchars.

Does that clear things up?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

the getting started guide got me started now i know how to use it !!
i should not be here
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Yeah, I've now deleted adequedit :D
Awesome work FrikaC, as usual!
Megazoid

Post by Megazoid »

bug (kind of):

Open a wad. Delete some frames on an image. Click "save as". Get the error message "Umm, not a valid miptext group! Uh-oh ... FIXME". Okay, click "Okay" Program crashes.

Okay, that's not a huge problem because you have basically f*cked up, and the program just says "dumb bitch, I'm out of here"....

Over all the program looks good, but I need to test futher. :D
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Megazoid wrote:bug (kind of):

Open a wad. Delete some frames on an image. Click "save as". Get the error message "Umm, not a valid miptext group! Uh-oh ... FIXME". Okay, click "Okay" Program crashes.

Okay, that's not a huge problem because you have basically f*cked up, and the program just says "dumb bitch, I'm out of here"....

Over all the program looks good, but I need to test futher. :D
Yeah, like I said, it's no good at MipTex. Basically by the time it discovers that images are missing when it's trying to save a miptex, it's too late... I need to put a check further up.

UPDATE: Don't use any of the previous builds to edit wads with miptex (and press save), they'll corrupt the miptex entries, as although they read in properly, saving was majorly bugged.

As a rule, with this beta quality software, don't edit anything you can't stand to lose.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I bet my disclaimer put a few people off now.