Making a Quake MDL in Blender: for dummies, NOT TOTAL MORONS

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Karall

Post by Karall »

Quark needs file gfx/palette and couldnt find it noooo!
Karall

Post by Karall »

God damn maybe i should just program for some other engine or something. Where can i get this palette.lmp?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Karall wrote:God damn maybe i should just program for some other engine or something. Where can i get this palette.lmp?
Use pakscape.exe ( http://www.quake-1.com/files/developer/pakscape-011.zip ) and open pak0.pak

Or download fimg 2.0 ( http://www.inside3d.com/frikbot/fimg/ ) and it comes with palette.lmp too I believe.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

actually the problem was he didn't set up quark's paths to point to Quake
i should not be here
Karall

Post by Karall »

*Irritated* In QuArK i cant find wich box that i should put the path to the palette file in.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

You don't do that
you simply put the path to the game in the Game Configuration
it drags out and uses the appropriate files in the pak itself
i should not be here
Karall

Post by Karall »

Right, so i got it into QuArK, seems like the texture fucked up.
http://img411.imageshack.us/i/ak47quark.jpg/
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Besides the skin map problem, I suggest you to reduce a bit the number of polys, specially in the weapon barrels. Remember, Quake is not optimized for high polycount models, so less is usually better.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Karall

Post by Karall »

Rite so the barrel is now square, how can i fix my texture problem?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

You can load the model in QuArK and adjust the skin verts on it (warning: it's a PITA).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

The texture wasn't assigned in Blender. Not doing so will give you the checker pattern. Assign a texture to the model first before exporting, you can do this in Edit Mode by selecting all polygons, then selecting the texture you want to use in the UV/Image Editor. You can select your mesh and export from there.
i should not be here
Karall

Post by Karall »

Thats exactly what i did, i think. Selected a face in blender, unwraped it in uv mapping interface, mapped it and then exported it.
Karall

Post by Karall »

No help yet?...
r00k

Post by r00k »

Hey, leileilol, I've finally reInstalled blender on Windows7 and might take some time to learn the mechanics. The only thing I learned so far was how to install it. Roughly, without creating a whole new tutorial, can i take saved separate model files to create an animated .md3 export? Or is blender just the tool used to create the individual .md3 files and another tool is used to compile them into 1 .md3 model? I dont want to make an animation in blender if it's not the way to go for use in Quake. Though, I do like what i have seen from some youTube vids of what blender can do. Either way, it's time to learn modeling, instead of weed-whacking code. ;)

Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I'm guessing they must have recently included admin approval for registration.

I'm currently waiting for my approval to attempt MDL support in Blender!

Thanks for the guide!
Best sig ever.