idTech5 not available for external license

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

idTech5 not available for external license

Post by scar3crow »

...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

From what I see this is a good thing.

This means the source will likely be released because of the lack of third party companies using the engine.
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

Yeah, my brother told me this,
i hoped yesterday that carmack shows us doom 4 shots :S
Feared

Post by Feared »

John Carmack lied to me, he said nothing would change.

Bethesda has been using the GameBryo engine and now that they have the chance to have a "in-house" engine they don't want to share it.
I honestly don't see ID Software being successful anymore if they continue things like this.
They seem to take a bad step on everything in this day and age (e.g. id tech 4)

I'm surprised Bethesda is successful at all.
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, this could be a good turn for Bethesda, they (hopefully) won't be using the GameBryo engine anymore. (horrible engine)
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

Hmm, id tech 4 source release would be nice these days.
btw GameByro is really crap...
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

The only experience I had with the GameBryo engine was in Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, and TBH I found the outdoors amazing, specially the dynamically generated vegetation (trees and bushes mostly, I had to turn off grass because my hardware wasn't up to the task). The framerate used to be constant and I got no glitches after many hours playing (an amazing game btw). So, nothing to say against it.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Feared wrote:I'm surprised Bethesda is successful at all.
It's pretty funny how shiny water and one xbox release will put you on the mainstream premium brownnose scene in 2002 with Morrowind.
i should not be here
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I don't get it. The Rage engine does not look that amazing to me as a potential player compared to other games. Maybe it rocks for developing but if so, they better license it and make money that way.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

leileilol wrote:
Feared wrote:I'm surprised Bethesda is successful at all.
It's pretty funny how shiny water and one xbox release will put you on the mainstream premium brownnose scene in 2002 with Morrowind.
Yeah, they still seem to be riding the wave of success that started with a water shader and the fact that the skeletons had individually modelled ribs.

It seemed to me that Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion are all disasters of code. They have incomprehensible bugs that could only result from incompetent programming. They run like crap (although Morrowind finally ran at a smooth framerate on the machines of five years later). They have, incredibly, no physics and more or less no AI (except for Oblivion's middleware ragdoll physics). They're RPGs and yet have more or less no dialogue system (although they've come some way since the pukestain that was Daggerfall). And the character art and production in general (including voice acting) is still awful. And...there is no sense of taste: the presence of elves and orcs is annoying but predictable, but furries?

Yet... why do I keep coming back to play Morrowind? Probably because nobody to my knowledge has even tried this genre, which I think can be done so much better. Oblivion was a step down from Morrowind, but I'm not sure why.

Responding to the thread topic, it would be strange if they used the Rage engine for the next Elder Scrolls game. Megatexture? That seems opposite to the direction they should be headed in. Or else we'll see another Redguard game.

And if the Rage engine is a "competitive" advantage... I don't see why 8 year development cycles are a competitive advantage.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

8 years are almost an eternity, it better be all that.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I bet it is all that. And a bag of potato chips. And I bet a newcomer will blow it out of the water anyway, like they were sandbagging the whole time. id has managed to push engines pretty consistantly, so I have no reason to doubt when they say megatextures and the like for the rage engine are the shit.. to doubt them. Buy newcomers with vision always manage one title just when you dont expect anything new to the table.
r00k

Post by r00k »

I know tech 4 is 5 years old now, but even so, Doom3 looks dated, Quake4 looks like utter crap and the RAGe screenshots dont really look much better. Yippy we have megamapping! I wanna see realtime voxel-mapping. Entity models that collapse and bend based on physical conditions. Texture layers that dynamically react to damage, ie paint scraping off cars, flesh tearing away from skin, walls breaking apart exposing sheet rock, etc... :D

And at the same damn time rethink FPS gameplay. It's not ONLY about get out of where you are, sequentially killing monsters with one hand while the other hand is doing another job...
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Megatextures are well and good... ETQW (tech4) had them, and while it's nice to have no repetition in terrain, and it makes sense to do it like that, a lot of the ETQW levels weren't very visually interesting. Grass and rock only goes so far... manmade (or alien-made or animal-made) structures usually look more interesting in a game. After all, when I want nature, I can just step outside. Real life does nature a lot better than megatextures will.

But if I want a Mars base or an Egyptian temple or a Nali castle, I can't simply go there and a game may be a nice way to get the illusion of being there. The whole terrain thing is ultimately striving to be super-realistic, which isn't always the best thing to do in a game. It will never reach Nature's perfection anyway.

Games should go back to interesting structures, and just use the megatextured nature as a backdrop or a lead-up. Because the terrain part is usually not the most interesting one.

As for gameplay, I agree with r00k. I would welcome change. Maybe driving buggies and hopefully upgrading or modding them might provide a nice diversion already.

I think it'll be good, after all it's id, but none of its elements strike me as particularly new. I guess it's the combination.
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

This thread is LMAO.

Show me screens of things looking technically better than Rage, or stfu.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Last edited by leileilol on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i should not be here