Upside-Down Player + Walking on Ceiling

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

why not .... just flip the gravity for only the player and his view and his model, keeping the hulls the same?
Chip

Post by Chip »

If the transition from up to down is improved, one might have a zero-gravity map, in space, where the player floats and turns up and down and sideways in a random pattern.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

At that point you're better off not using the Quake engine :P
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
mh

Post by mh »

I'm wondering how possible it would be to at least make a start by enabling fully free movement underwater? The movement types are totally different there so it should be possible to achieve something.

At least it would be a start, and would open the next logical step up, which is to handle fly mode and noclipping. Gotta start somewhere!
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Heh! nglquake has cvars (something like ztrick and ytrick) to do that. Quite funny.

edit: in a gimmick, not really functioning way or course
Last edited by Spirit on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

mh wrote:I'm wondering how possible it would be to at least make a start by enabling fully free movement underwater? The movement types are totally different there so it should be possible to achieve something.

At least it would be a start, and would open the next logical step up, which is to handle fly mode and noclipping. Gotta start somewhere!
Well, the very first thing you would need to do is throw out player angles, and replace it with a matrix (or quaternion?).
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Teiman

Post by Teiman »

mh wrote:I'm wondering how possible it would be to at least make a start by enabling fully free movement underwater? The movement types are totally different there so it should be possible to achieve something.

I think noclip sould work more like swimming...

And "fly" sould automatically set FL_ONGROUND, wen you are near the ground.

Maybe other option for this, is to implement "ceiling friction" and another flag like FL_ONGROUND, and some ceiling stickiness... like ... if FL_ONCEILING flag is activated, you don't fall, even if theres nothing below you. Or something.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Teiman wrote:Maybe other option for this, is to implement "ceiling friction" and another flag like FL_ONGROUND, and some ceiling stickiness... like ... if FL_ONCEILING flag is activated, you don't fall, even if theres nothing below you. Or something.
I don't see the need of another flag. FL_ONGROUND could be set according the gravity orientation (ie, if gravity is negative FL_ONGROUND is set when the entity touches a solid surface in ceiling).

What would be really cool is a gravity vector. I remember seeing a video from another engine (don't remember if it was Ogre or the Irrlicht engine) where you could make things "fall" towards any arbitrary wall or the ceiling only changing a gravity vector.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Teiman

Post by Teiman »

If you need things to fall to some arbitrary "down", maybe a special version of the TWig library can do that with a modification..

I can imagine a map where a wall is destroyed, and all things "fly" to the void of space, but you stay on ground, because your boots are magnetic*

Humm... for some reason, I want to play quake1 windtunnels map again. Hell.. that map is superawesome.

*or because you uses a grapple hook!