Where did your nicknames came from?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Someone thought my personality was similar to Jimi Pääkallo. Then later someone else started asking me:"What's wrong Jimmeeeeeee?" pretty much everytime he saw me. I didn't really like him or what he was doing, but I liked Jimi/Jimee/Jim.
zbang!
r00k

Post by r00k »

I think the very very first quake name i used on BigEd's Quake Server (which only played the start map) was unknownQsoldier, the q was red and stood for quake, after the D.C. comic unknown soldier. Someone else on HATING had same name looked different so i changed it to "analog rookie" as a joke. People called me analog, then ana and then some though i was a girl ugh, so i quickly dropped the analog and changed it to r00k1e, i ended up dropping the 1e after i joined a clan :P
revelator

Post by revelator »

tbh i forgot :lol:

i think it refered to me newer letting go if i wanted something done
bit like a bullterrier i am (an old one but none the less) :twisted:
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

r00k wrote:I think the very very first quake name i used on BigEd's Quake Server (which only played the start map) was unknownQsoldier, the q was red and stood for quake, after the D.C. comic unknown soldier. Someone else on HATING had same name looked different so i changed it to "analog rookie" as a joke. People called me analog, then ana and then some though i was a girl ugh, so i quickly dropped the analog and changed it to r00k1e, i ended up dropping the 1e after i joined a clan :P
so its not chess related, aww :/
bah
KrimZon

Post by KrimZon »

I sent one of my midi tunes to someone and they said it sounded like King Crimson. I also had been listening a lot to the machine head album The Burning Red, and I had some other album lying around with the label/publisher Crimson. So all things pointed to redness.

I originally tried KrimZonNe, with ZonNe part being 'Z'ized Sonne, (German for sun), so it kind of meant crimson sun. I think that part was partly inspired by the Skaven s3m song Captured Sun.

Soon after I dropped the 'Ne'.
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

Got mine in 2nd grade.
My last name is Gifford, a teacher (who would later become my 6th grade teacher) called me Giffy.
Then when I made my first AIM account (back when it was netscape instant messenger, some time in the late 90s) I decided to spice it up with a capital E.

And so GiffE was born. I'm still using my old GiffE1118 screenname after all these years.
gnounc

generic Adjective/Noun combo

Post by gnounc »

I needed a new nick at some point, and I was looking through everybodies aim nicks, things like sk8erdude1154378
hotchick4476 blah blah blah, I thought the numbers were annoying,

Reminded me of the penny arcade comic where they are on vacation and just put in mad lib prompts, thus Generic_adjective_noun_Combo
...but im too lazy to type that, so I quickly condensed it to Gnounc.
LonePossum.

Post by LonePossum. »

Hmm LonePossum is Really nothing special and was a one off for these forums. I usually go by as Shallows and started using that for MMORPGS, FPS, Etc all Games that I could name myself in but lately the immaturity of some people who get stuck with microphones on games say Swallows when I pwn them either they are calling me a pokemon or saying something their 11yr old halo fanboy wanabe gamer mouth shouldnt be saying. Ive used it for years everywhere.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

I needed a name for my old warlock in World of Warcraft. This name seemed to fit an Undead Warlock. Now I miss WoW. :(
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
revelator

Post by revelator »

:shock: i thought that name sounded familiar might remember me then i was the guy who partially fixed discord mods for wow.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

reckless wrote::shock: i thought that name sounded familiar might remember me then i was the guy who partially fixed discord mods for wow.
I miss the discord mods. :(
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
revelator

Post by revelator »

we all do :( but well after blizzards later changes it became clear to me that getting it 100% working again i would more or less have to rewrite the entire thing from scratch :/ these days its hard for me to even get time to fiddle with my own projects less having several.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Back in 1996 when I first got the internet, I needed a name for quake things. I tended to make a lot of errors when coding... and while coding one night, it just clicked... from then on it was Errorabove... though I shortened it to Error when Inside3D changed to this newer forum.

Kinda a crappy name for someone in a programming channel in IRC. I log on and I'm the most popular person... everything's highlighted!

Yes, I made my parents get internet just for Quake.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Error wrote:Kinda a crappy name for someone in a programming channel in IRC. I log on and I'm the most popular person... everything's highlighted!
lol!
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

MY NAMEI S DOWNSIDER BECAUSE MY COUSINS BAND NAME WAS THE DOWNSIDE WHEN I WAS AROUND 8 YEARS OLD AND I CHOSE IT BECAUSE I FELT IT WAS A GOOD NAME AND THEN I READ A BOOK CALLED THE DOWNSIDERS AND I LIKED IT