Tutorial: CSQC GUI Menus

Discuss CSQC related programming.
avirox

Post by avirox »

DOH! Yes, thank you :)
qbism

Post by qbism »

:wink: Thanks for the tute, it inspired me to try csqc! I'm a big cut-and-paster from way back.

Source compiled w/o error. Looks like #DEFINE CSQC 1 should be uncommented in first line of system.qc

I bound "testmenu" to a key and the menu popped up, but was not able to mouse-over. I'll reread that part of your tute. Do I need to change anything in main qc for mouse?
avirox

Post by avirox »

Do you see the mouse cursor appear in the center of the screen when the menu pops up? At any rate, mouse movement is handled in CSQC_InputEvent

Also on that note, I've added keyboard support to the GUI menus recently for my other projects. I will post a tutorial on adding it to this one shortly :)
qbism

Post by qbism »

"X" in center of screen, menu off-center-
avirox

Post by avirox »

If everything in CSQC_InputEvent is the same as the previous page and you see the cursor, then the only thing that can probably be wrong is that mouse look is disabled.

Failing that, have you tried using the CSQC in the above zip?

Thanks for the input :)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Nice tutorial and example mod.

This was added to RemakeQuake as a start, to experiment with csqc in our mod. I intend to eventually have a graphic inventory (we're using a centerprint right now) and similar stuff. Also rockets emitting sound (like in Quake 2) and more stuff like that.

I can also confirm that the whole thing works in software mode in FTE, and on Linux to boot.

If you get a problem with disappearing text in software, PM me for a conchars.lmp or hope that it'll get fixed in FTE.

The final bug I'm encountering is the same as qbism, I see the X cursor and an off-center menu, and can't click the buttons.

At smaller resolutions than 640x480, the whole text is even more off-center and scaled to really tiny size. O_o

(so what, I have a slow machine!)

Anyway, kudos to Spike for csqc and to avirox for the tutorial that finally made me try it.
avirox

Post by avirox »

Okay I uploaded a new clean CSQC GUI. In this version, the menu should now be centered. Also there are some new features like keyboard support and dragging. Check out the readme for more info.

If you want to add these features to your mod, use winmerge or a similar program to merge the diffs from csqc_gui_10.zip (there aren't too many, don't worry).

http://avirox.amnesiagames.com/FTE/csqc_gui_11.zip

Enjoy :)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Nice.

qbism

Post by qbism »

Got it working on current FTEQW dev binaries w/ Vista. Yay! Running with vanilla clean qc progs.dat.

Mouse would still not work on Linux-Ubuntu distro running identical progs. So the issue is not the csqc menu source.

Thanks again avirox for the tute.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Then the mouse problem (menu doesn't get mouse focus) is possibly Linux/FTE related?
avirox

Post by avirox »

Sounds like an FTE+Linux thing. I'll tell Spike about it. At any rate, I've made some cool new progress with things such as..

multi-slotted inventories!
and other cool things!

Maybe I'll add an update soon, but I just want to make sure it all works *stable*
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

how hard would it be to implement the text menu csqc part of the tutorial over for prydon? (im not talking about the drag and drop atm)
avirox

Post by avirox »

Only as hard as following the tutorial on page 1 ^^

Actually, I don't think prydon (at least not the released form of it) has any CSQC, in which case all you'd really need to do is use the source code that I posted on the previous page. If you need to run it on DP, I can post an updated source with DP support in it as well.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

yeah, running dp (so id just have to run the source for this ? and it would be that easy?)
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..DP support plEASE... :D