Bone support or anything to make animation easier?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Baker

Bone support or anything to make animation easier?

Post by Baker »

I opened up a couple of monster models like the Knight (knight.mdl in pak0).

To my shock, it has over 100 animation frames (the walk animation has 14 all by itself).

I was expecting less because player.mdl has 143 animations and the knight doesn't do as much.

If there was bone support (or something else) in Quake 1, how much easier would it be to do animations using some other model format?

/Btw, the knight has a cool kneel animation! I've never seen this used in a mod.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Darkplaces supports its own skeletal model formation, DPM, which is compiled from half life SDKs.

Bones are usually used in making and animatiing Quake models, though lost when saved as a .mdl file. Even a tool as old as QME supports skeletal animation through its own model format.
Apathy Now!
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

/Btw, the knight has a cool kneel animation! I've never seen this used in a mod.
Its used in plenty of mods, though none are coming to mind at the moment... Also note the overhead smash animation of the Death Knight, the lack of idle frames for the vore, the reloading frames for the grunts (DPmod uses this - as does Quoth for the rocket grunts iirc), and the Ogre chainsaw rev frames. I can't recall if there are any other odd frames like that hidden about...

I would kill, and by kill, I mean use the term in a purely hypothetical scenario which would never be reached, for Quake models with bones intact.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Urre

Post by Urre »

/me imagines a world where the rest of Quakes art assets were released under the GPL...

lei: wanna pester Romero some? :)

scar3: The hellknight sword-point animation isn't used in Quake, but in plenty mods. Often used for a lightning-attack.
I was once a Quake modder
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

the kneel and point is used alot on fvf

if there is a possie of knights they do a kneel move and reflect your projectiles back at you, ans they also do it so u cant hit the monsters at all
bah