Geoside

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
MonkeyPulp

Geoside

Post by MonkeyPulp »

The Engine:
-------------------------
We're going to use the Tenebrae engine.
It is based on Quake 1 but it improves its graphics very much.
It has all the Doom 3 effects in it, plus the ability to change camera type from 1st person to 3rd person.

If we will want to sell our game (we probably will!), we will have to put its sourcecode downloadable for the public.
We have to share the sourcecode because the engine is based on Quake 1.

"...if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have.
You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights."

(A part of the GNU licence. Theres nothing to do about it but starting from a scratch.)

Here are some pictures of what we wnat the game to look like.

The Story:
A union of 13 highly intelligent races of aliens come to Earth (using a teleporter) for its resources and to gain control.
They have a great power and an army of ultimate soldiers.

(The ultimate soldiers are prisoners with installed chips in the brain. The chips are used to control them and to increase their accuracy
and speed of reaction.)

After a long battle and a full distruction of most Earth's cities, the UNION decides to take the remaining citizens under their control, and to
preform experiments on those who resist them.

Since the UNION was using nuclear massive distruction weapons during the war, Earth is full of mutants.
Even the remaining cities are inhabited by those mutants. Most people decide to surrender to the UNION, but theres still a small group
of remaining soldiers from Earth's Defenging Force (EDF) who keep fighting the UNION.

The players role in the game:
You are one of the toughest soldiers of the EDF.
You and your team were hit by a grenade during one if the last battles for Earth.
You and your team were captured by the UNION.

You wake up in a small and dark room.
The only light source in it is a small window about 3 meter above you.
From a small snick in the door you see how your team is being turned into mindless zombies with chips in the brain, one by one.
Its your turn now.
A UNION soldier enters the room and hits you on the head.
You lose your consciousness.
You wake up on a surgery bed. Theres nobody in here.
Your head hurts. You can't remember a thing. Everything is blurred in front of your eyes.
Suddenly you hear footsteps.
An alien surgeon enters the room along with two UNION soldiers.
They start talking about something, but you don't understand the foreign language.
Suddenly the surgeon points at you.
The two soldiers come close to you and one of them tries to grab you but he misses.
You hit him and he falls.
You hit the second one with a chair.
You grab a surgery knife and throw at the surgeon before he could call for help.
It all happens in 10 seconds.
Your head still hurts, wondering "How the heck did I do that?"

After getting out of the alien labs you join the resistance, but you're not an ordinary soldier. Not any more.
The UNION tried to make you one of them and you did get their power, but they failed and can't control you.
Thats why they were trying to kill you.
Now your speed of reaction and stuff are increased.

The Gameplay:

The player will spend most of the time with a team of soldiers.
These soldiers can be NPCs or real players.
Any soldier has his abilities.
Medics, HW guys, a guy who can melt metal doors, ect.
There will be two types of weapons:

- Human weapons - Look like ordinary weapons
- Alien weapons - High tech powerful weapons

Only the player who started the server can be the one with chips in the head.

The players will also be able to use any of the UNION tech. (Helis, jeeps, ect.)

The environments planned are:
- UNION labs
- UNION base
- Cities conquered by the UNION
- Old warehouse
- Poluted beach
- Destroyed cities
- Human bases ect.
- Planets of the UNION (not sure about that yet)
- Some other alien animal planets (You get there by incident)

There will be more locations.

Engine Feature List:
- High quality realistic graphics (stencil shadows, bumpmapping, high quality art)
- Ralistic physics (Gravity, friction, forces, rigid body dynamics, pressure ect.)
- Intelligent AI (Those UNION soldiers have special abilities like trying to slip away from bullets and expolions and the ability to use the physics.)
- Singleplayer, multiplayer co-op, deathmatch gamemodes
- Slowmotion!
- Drivable vehicles
- A huge arsenal
- Some cool SFX
- Many types of environments

If you would like to join/help us, just go to http://www.geoside.tk thx!
K2
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Do it! This sounds very interesting!
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Entar

Post by Entar »

They need a QC coder. Someone skilled :D
leileilol

Re: Geoside

Post by leileilol »

MonkeyPulp wrote:We're going to use the Tenebrae engine.
:(

Why not Darkplaces?
i should not be here
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Baaahhhh, let them go ahead. They have obviously closely examined all the possibilities of engines to make their choice. :roll:
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
MonkeyPulp

Post by MonkeyPulp »

Well, if you guys wana talk about what engines are good/bad you should talk to Gunman in www.geoside.tk forums. He's the one that came up with basicly everything. I just found this game very interesting and decided to help him with it. I just help him out with what I can, but it's not much since I don't realy know anything about quake engines and stuff. But I hope a few of my skills help him like my noobie-ass modling, an ok c++ skill, and my ok html skill. (my html helped us alot becuase he doesn't know any so i made the shit-ass website with some shit-ass free hosting.)

IF ANYONE CAN HELP WITH ANYTHING, PLZ DO!! (even if you can just guide us (like Entar(thx!)) to other people or software it would help greatly. Well maby... Gunman knows everything were doing and not me... I just know what he tells us..
K2
Urre

Post by Urre »

I knew the day would come when I3D gets threads like this.

Brilliant choice of graphics hack software by the way. Why not try an engine?
I was once a Quake modder
Willis

Post by Willis »

Urre wrote:Brilliant choice of graphics hack software by the way. Why not try an engine?
Heh, go read the engine thread in their forum once :shock:
________
silver surfer reviews
Last edited by Willis on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spike

Post by Spike »

There are two sorts of people in this community...
Those who don't like Tenebrae. And those that have never run it.

There's a reason people here do not like tenebrae. 1: framerates. 2: the moddability of an expensive antique. 3: it simply doesn't feel nice.

I agree with Urre's comment.
Tei

Post by Tei »

- High quality realistic graphics (stencil shadows, bumpmapping, high quality art)

Interesting. But Its better to have good models, good maps, etc..

- Ralistic physics (Gravity, friction, forces, rigid body dynamics, pressure ect.)

ok gravity, ok friction, oops Rigid body dynamic Its something doable,but you will need a higly trained coder :I

- Intelligent AI (Those UNION soldiers have special abilities like trying to slip away from bullets and expolions and the ability to use the physics.)

Intelligent Artificial Intelligence? errr...

- Singleplayer, multiplayer co-op, deathmatch gamemodes

done

- Slowmotion!

doable.

- Drivable vehicles

ergh.. on the quake engine?

- A huge arsenal

doable

- Some cool SFX

doable

- Many types of environments

doable

- - - -

You sould try something doable, but interesting enough. You sould avoid adding MAYOR features to a engine. USE the features already in the engine to make a GAME. Then.. do a fun game, games its about to fun, not about features.

Good Luck!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I would not spend to much interest in that project. They didn't even start. They don't want constructive critic. Let them "do" it...

just my 2 cents :roll:
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Willis

Post by Willis »

Spirit of 85 wrote:I would not spend to much interest in that project. They didn't even start. They don't want constructive critic. Let them "do" it...

just my 2 cents :roll:
Heh, just visiting their fourms tells you everything you need to know.
Project is lead by a 14 year old (not a stereotype, GunMan really is 14, or so he says) who is looking for "ideas" but deletes threads with suggestive material (engine thread, etc..).

Of course, read their "Company Name" thread and take another step back, then read how great Tenebrae's Doom3 like graphics are and run for the hills....

I've seen everything I need to see to know I'm not at all interested in their project anymore.
________
marijuana vaporizers
Last edited by Willis on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Tei wrote:You sould avoid adding MAYOR features to a engine.
But i want to be the mayor of the doomed dimension :(
i should not be here
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

They have no engine coder, no qc coder, no modelers who are not doing their first ever models, no mappers, not even many ideas as far as I can see. And they want to sell this?
Apathy Now!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

MauveBib wrote:They have no engine coder, no qc coder, no modelers who are not doing their first ever models, no mappers, not even many ideas as far as I can see. And they want to sell this?
And they want to use Tenebrae too!

Nice fine example of the Tenebrae modding community, I take it.
i should not be here