apple_mouse_noaccel

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

apple_mouse_noaccel

Post by Baker »

An interesting find in the Darkplaces source code:
vid_agl.c wrote:

Code: Select all

// Save the status of mouse acceleration
			originalMouseSpeed = -1.0; // in case of error
			if(apple_mouse_noaccel.integer)
			{
For anyone who has ever tried Quake on a Mac (or any other mouse-using game), the system mouse acceleration really makes everything awkward.

The "traditional fix" is a 3rd party utility that can disable mouse acceleration per application. But that is a *bad* workaround.

Nice to see the solution is out there.
Willem

Post by Willem »

That's weird, I use Macs exclusively for Quake stuff and I've never had an issue with mouse acceleration. I use the basic software renderer as well as Fitz. I wonder why that fix is needed...
Baker

Post by Baker »

Willem wrote:That's weird, I use Macs exclusively for Quake stuff and I've never had an issue with mouse acceleration. I use the basic software renderer as well as Fitz. I wonder why that fix is needed...
It might be something that only bothers Windows users. I use -dinput on Windows, it gives me some uncanny vertical aim when I play regularly [which seems to be less and less, and so goes life ...].

I only know firsthand about 5 other Quake playing Mac users, so I was just guessing it was widespread complaint, but 5 isn't really a big pool to sample from.

Anyway, here is a reference post by JohnXMas: OS X Acceleration.
Willem

Post by Willem »

Huh. Yeah, I know what he's talking about and I actually like that acceleration a lot on my desktop and while coding and stuff. It just doesn't seem to translate over to games for me for some reason. Maybe I installed something at an earlier date and forgot about it but I don't THINK I did. Weird...