QExpo 2005 DECISIONS

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Willis

Re: .

Post by Willis »

Harb wrote:how much will it cost to get the Qexpo hosted somewhere?
Depends on how much space and bandwith it will require.
________
vaporizer volcano
Last edited by Willis on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tei

Re: .

Post by Tei »

Willis wrote:
Harb wrote:how much will it cost to get the Qexpo hosted somewhere?
Depends on how much space and bandwith it will require.
We can cheat:

- filehosting on fileplanet
- use a frames webpage hosted here
- place real pages on geocities pages
- provide a template for these geocities pages, so everybody pages looks like the others

= No hosting needed, except the frame definition index.html file, and the menu.html file.

(note: this idea its crap, except the fileplanet one that its evil )
Spike

Post by Spike »

Tei has a point, fileplanet IS indeed evil.
There are a few quake focused websites around, and many of these servers have some spare bandwidth. And frames would allow it to be shared nicly...
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Fileplanet wouldn't be TOO bad, but it would be nice to have something a little better to work with. But then again, maybe I'm thinking of planetquake (the one that redirects you to an advertisement page all the time, which wouldn't be good since we're going for a seamless presentation of QExpo)?

Reserving the domain QExpo.com would be relatively cheap, wouldn't it? I'd be willing to paypal in a few bucks (like, $20?).
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I have webspace with a traffic limit of 50gb/month, so I guess I could host some files. But I have no idea how much traffic it really might be, so please tell me about it before I say "Yes" :wink:
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Tei

Post by Tei »

Spirit of 85 wrote:I have webspace with a traffic limit of 50gb/month, so I guess I could host some files. But I have no idea how much traffic it really might be, so please tell me about it before I say "Yes" :wink:
No one can give you real data. We are coders, not futurologys
but here my 0.02 $:

Telejano stuff:
Around 600 downloads per release, 3 GB/Month

Most quake webpages consume much less, around 10 MB/Month, others even less 1 MB/Month, but a few will get really much more than 1 GB/Month, maybe the bigger will get 10 GB.

If we have 20 webpages, 10 small ones, 6 medium and 4 big:

10 * 0.001
+
6 * 3
+
4 * 10
-------------
Around 52 GB/Month the first month. Much less the next month, and lower and lower to around 1 GB month.

Anyways I think hosting files can be elsewhere, really, even on Evilplanet. KISS keep its simple, stupid! / KICS keep its cheap, stupid!.

I have not real idea, but I hate wen somehome ask and not one can give any data. I give you unacourate data, that its better than nothing. 0.0001 better than nothing.

Maybe some hosters here (frikaC and guys from QUAKESRC) can give you real accurate date, and maybe even older QExpo hosters.. that can be the Real Thing! :D
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Spirit of 85 wrote:I have webspace with a traffic limit of 50gb/month, so I guess I could host some files. But I have no idea how much traffic it really might be, so please tell me about it before I say "Yes" :wink:
That would be much appreciated. I wonder how much traffic we'll get? With Q2 involved it might be much more than previous years...
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

if all else fails I could get you guys on modfiles.org, but only if all else fails.
i should not be here
Entar

Post by Entar »

I can host at least some of the files at my Quake website at http://www.freewebs.com/entar/index.html if need be :D
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Entar wrote:I can host at least some of the files at my Quake website at http://www.freewebs.com/entar/index.html if need be :D
HAHAHAHAH NO FREEWEBS, we mean serious web hosting.
i should not be here
Tei

Post by Tei »

CheapAlert wrote:
Entar wrote:I can host at least some of the files at my Quake website at http://www.freewebs.com/entar/index.html if need be :D
HAHAHAHAH NO FREEWEBS, we mean serious web hosting.
I agree you, CheapAlert. But please, be more polite.
Entar

Post by Entar »

What's wrong with that? You could have a webpage somewhere else, but link to some files hosted at my site.

File hosting is file hosting...
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

One the hand you are right, it might work that way. But on the other hand the QExpo files might do huge traffic and this is something all the free webhosters hate. They would delete your free webspace without turning a hair :cry:

And since your hoster offers "up to 500MB of user bandwidth per month for all non-premium users, so long as it is being used in a proper manner" (Link) this maximum would be reached VERY soon. Just imagine some map, maybe 2.5mb. 200 poeple might download it in a month then, that's much too few!
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Would be nice to have a torrent tracker to all files, and some seeds, so we try to download using bit torrent first, and if it fails, we use the links....
#EOP
ajay

Post by ajay »

I'd agree to that, 500mb wouldn't be enough. Lunkin's Journey is currently 30mb, and will probably end up at 40mb. With all the desperate people dying to download it, even fileplant itself will crumble when it's released. Indeed the whole internet my collapse.

dark_fired

^^ random pasting from lunkin's code