poison

Need help with a tutorial found on InsideQC.com? Post here.
ijed

poison

Post by ijed »

Ok, I'm trying to implement an enemy that poisons the player using the tutorial:

http://www.inside3d.com/showtutorial.php?id=65

Which is for a player's poison axe. I copied it into the enemy's attack in question and nothing happens. It looks like there's something missing somewhere - do I need to put reference the poison_think somehwhere else or something?

Thanks for your time.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

GetPoisoned is what makes the magic happen, but unless your monster is doing a traceline, it won't work as is.

Try changing GetPoisoned(trace_ent); to GetPoisoned(self.enemy);
ijed

Damn

Post by ijed »

I tried this, but it didn't work, looks like I got the syntax wrong :P

Thanks, I'll try it tonight.
ijed

Post by ijed »

Like a charm. But.

How do I stop it with a health pack?

I'm almost completely new to qc.

AFAIK I can't check if the player is healed within OnPoisonThink, so I have to make a variable? eg. Poisoned - but then I write an if poisoned statement and how will it remove the poison from the player?

I know there's a simple way of doing this.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

It is now that I notice that this tutorial has a small bug in that it may not quit doing damage to the player when he hits water. :P (Should be self.owner.waterlevel)

Anyway in response to your question, just create a .poisoned variable, then in GetPoisoned() add a ent.poisoned = TRUE; and somewhere in health_touch, add a other / self.poisoned = FALSE;. (whatever the context is that points to the player)
Last edited by Dr. Shadowborg on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ijed

Nice

Post by ijed »

Thanks alot. Seems like I was nearly there.