Melee Weapons

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

i know this thread is old but,

when i play sp ill have a run thru where all i use is the axe and by doing this i have found that if u go up to an ogre and push forward while axing, as he rases his chain saw uip to kill u he will enter a pain animation and move back, cutting his chain saw attack short and giving you little to no damage,...
bah
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

A lot of the strategies (especially speedrunning strategies) in Qauke (and Quake 2) involve abuse of monster animation cycles. Most of them are about making a monster flinch to interupt an attack, but there are some others as well (the most famous of which being the shambler dance)...
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

Interjecting my 2 cents. But I would love to see a "halo-esque" melee style of attack, meaning:
  • A melee weapon that attack with a single press of a button, like the mighty foot
  • Melee can't be used while firing or another action
  • Different weapons allow you to use melee at different intervals; as in a shotgun will let you melee 1/4 a second after firing, and a rocket would allow you to melee 3/4 of a second after firing, not a HUGE difference, but can mean the difference between life and death
I love the idea that if you can lay a melee hit one after another they progressively get more powerful, although, the final hit of a 3-hit combo should push the enemy away from you and reset the damage back to default.

Cheers.
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

ShoTro wrote:I love the idea that if you can lay a melee hit one after another they progressively get more powerful, although, the final hit of a 3-hit combo should push the enemy away from you and reset the damage back to default.
/me coughs something about his Hellsmash QSR mod's sonic gauntlets
-z-

Post by -z- »

I found the the speed and air movement in Nexuiz permit for ample opportunities to use such a weapon. There has been quite a bit of buzz about wanting a knife game in Nexuiz. As a ninja, I think a knife would be a good addition.

Something I liked about Halo was the assassination medal for sneaking up behind someone and using a melee attack to kill them. Dependant upon the victim's health, it'd be neat if this triggered an instant throat cut.

Otherwise, I'd imagine the behavior to be a weak but "chargable" stabbing action.

Also, Goldeneye, slappers only.
Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the ninja arts of Nexuiz | Happy 1 Year Ninjaz! - Mapping Contest to celebrate!
IHateThisMap

Post by IHateThisMap »

One thing I played that has to be the ultimate melee game is Action DooM 2: Urban Brawl. I was a stand alone Doom mod that emulated old beat 'em up like Streets of Rage and TMNT: arcade in a FPS. I think it was just brilliant.

My ideal for a axe mod was to make it auto-attack when you got close like in Metal Slug. It's would work like Halo's melee but you don't have to add any buttons to the game, which i think is importent keepping Quake's gameplay simpel and fun.

BTW I like the ideal of charging the melee attack.
bravez

Post by bravez »

ShoTro wrote:Interjecting my 2 cents. But I would love to see a "halo-esque" melee style of attack, meaning:
  • A melee weapon that attack with a single press of a button, like the mighty foot
  • Melee can't be used while firing or another action
  • Different weapons allow you to use melee at different intervals; as in a shotgun will let you melee 1/4 a second after firing, and a rocket would allow you to melee 3/4 of a second after firing, not a HUGE difference, but can mean the difference between life and death
I love the idea that if you can lay a melee hit one after another they progressively get more powerful, although, the final hit of a 3-hit combo should push the enemy away from you and reset the damage back to default.

Cheers.
What is the best melee weapon that can really attack the enemy..
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Maybe a lit cigarette that you can rub in their eyes. It would go well with brass knuckles and a leather jacket.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
hondobondo

Post by hondobondo »

superduper quake melee weapons

all damage dependent on health of the player
lightsaber
chainsaw
axe that damages enemies in a wave out from the player
hammer that damage in a radius
mighty foot

:D
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I'll quote wikipedia for a description of the weapon.. 10 points who ever knows the name of the weapon :D
2 handed sword about 7' long and 12" wide at its base. It is more than an inch thick at the middle of the blade, giving it incredible weight and power. It is more of a table-sized slab of iron than a blade.
zbang!
Chip

Post by Chip »

jim wrote:I'll quote wikipedia for a description of the weapon.. 10 points who ever knows the name of the weapon :D
2 handed sword about 7' long and 12" wide at its base. It is more than an inch thick at the middle of the blade, giving it incredible weight and power. It is more of a table-sized slab of iron than a blade.
I cheated!

Code: Select all

define(sv_cheats, 1);

$string = '2 handed sword about 7' long and 12" wide at its base';
$url = openurl('wikipedia.org');

find($string, $url, $result);

echo $result; // result is Dragon Slayer
Witness a strange combo of PHP and QuakeC.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I would have guessed the Buster Sword.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

I really loved the chainsaw in zerstorer. The axe is meh.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

The riot baton and cattle prod in deus ex are nice : )

That schlink sound the telescoping baton makes when it comes out
really makes it a joy to use

But I think a game needs a good old fashioned headbutt. Complete
with camera roll and everything
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

gnounc wrote:But I think a game needs a good old fashioned headbutt. Complete
with camera roll and everything
Hahah, nice. And you would get woozy if you smashed your head against a wall, leaving blood (or cracks on glass).
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.