Daggerfall question if anyone knows.

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
ceriux

Daggerfall question if anyone knows.

Post by ceriux »

Is daggerfall ray casting or ray tracing? ray tracing is 2nd images simulating 3d I know, and ray casting is for actual 3d scenes. iv done some reading and a few articles says that daggerfall is using ray tracing, however the wiki says its a "3d" game.
toneddu2000

Re: Daggerfall question if anyone knows.

Post by toneddu2000 »

As far as I remember, raycasting is a technique where rays are casted from point of view and reach the (2d fake) horizon and virtually are extruded above to create a fake 2d environment. Raytracing, instead, but I could be wrong, should be the technique where rays (contrary to real life) are casted by camera and touched real 3d objects and back to camera (or bouncing to another object). This should produces shadows and reflections. So, technically raycasting should be some sort of raytracing. I mean, maybe raytracing is a word to describe everything and nothing, but I think Daggerfall should be raycasting,imvho. I don't think raytracing is a tecnique to draw a true 3d world, but, again, I could be wrong.
Ray casting
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

to create a fake 2d environment
I meant " a fake 3d environment", sorry. I can't edit my posts anymore.
PS: administrator, can you please enable edit posts again? Cause I make a lot of errors typing quickly! :lol:
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Yeah Ray tracing is for true 3d while Ray casting is fake 3d. So waterfall uses Ray casting?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Daggerfall
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

From Wikipedia,
"Daggerfall was initially developed with an updated 2.5D raycast engine, like Doom's, but it was eventually dropped in favor of XnGine, one of the first truly 3D engines. Daggerfall realized a gameworld twice the size of Great Britain,[7] filled with 15,000 towns and a population of 750,000.[10]"
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Yeah I finally found out. I emailed the guy who makes Daggerfall unity tools he says it's actual 3d and works very similar to how unity does.