VisualStudio Community Edition

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
ericw

VisualStudio Community Edition

Post by ericw »

There's a new VS Community Edition out at: http://www.visualstudio.com/

This is awesome news IMO - it has the profiler, static analysis, and plugin support that were previously only in the expensive editions or in time-limited trials.
frag.machine

Re: VisualStudio Community Edition

Post by frag.machine »

Yeah, also .NET (argh) went open source under the MIT license.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

support plugins? very nice :)
revelator

Post by revelator »

Heh guess the mono folks would have a love hate feeling about NET going opensource :o all that work to make something like NET on linux and now they have the real thing just needs porting i guess :)
Productivity is a state of mind.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

revelator wrote:Heh guess the mono folks would have a love hate feeling about NET going opensource :o all that work to make something like NET on linux and now they have the real thing just needs porting i guess :)
From what I read it's not the case; actually, they're reportedly dropping the buggy and/or incomplete parts of their implementation and just slapping the Microsoft's code in place. Glad to see they are taking the pragmatic route, for the greater good.

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing; while I salute Microsoft for the long due change of course, I can't forget we are talking about the same guys whom tried very hard in the past to sabotage Linux, Apache and many other OSS projects. I wonder how much of the old Microsoft mindset lies below this new layer of shiny paint Nadella is putting on the company public image.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

One could hope that they finally learned that its not a war :( still plenty of opportunities to make a buck to keep your company going just by offering special stuff as addons.
Was also word that the next windows would be free to use, not sure if they still support this idea but i salute it if they do :).
Recently downloaded the technology preview though i havent installed it yet i hear it brings the best of win7 and win8 together.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Mono while a bit buggy at times had some nice tools though but i guess they can still be ported to the new framework :)
I havent used it that much i must agree as its a pain in the butt to compile on windows, and i guess they would still have the need to interface it with GTK on linux so it might be some time before we see the new version.
qbism

Post by qbism »

One of the counter-arguments to the safety of managed languages like Java or C# was that the compilers were written in old-fashioned C or C++. But peeking briefly at C# code http://source.roslyn.codeplex.com, looks like the C# compiler is C#.
revelator

Post by revelator »

pretty much 90% of mono is C# rest is just the interface between various api's needed for functionality, i guess NET Framework itself is also built like this.