Best docs on MAP creation?

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
JasonX

Best docs on MAP creation?

Post by JasonX »

I'm working on a small random dungeon generator. It works perfectly right now, generates a 2D dungeon quite well. However, i'm planning to add a feature to my generator that generates a .MAP which can be compiled into a BSP. I could not find any kind of documentation on the hand-made creation of MAP files, or any kind of extensive info on the format itself. Do you guys know any obscure documents, tutorials, or even simple open source projects that can be of good use towards this effort?
qbism

Re: Best docs on MAP creation?

Post by qbism »

Check out Oblige, it is a random map generator controlled by lua script. Current focus is on doom but it also supports Quake and Q2. It has untapped potential. http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

This can actually be done with qc using prefabs contained in the compiled map. Preach made mapgen, and I modded a playable version of it, but if I were spending time on map generation again I'd start with Oblige.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Yeah, i did look at Oblige, but i'm only interested in the MAP-related code. I prefer my approach to RDG, which is simpler and not based in prefabs. There's no MAP-related code in Oblige, it generates the BSP directly.
qbism

Post by qbism »

At the third column of the build dialog, scroll down to the bottom. There's an option 'export map for debugging'. Maps are saved in the debug folder of oblige.

There's also bmp2map, which converts 2d bitmap images to maps based on color coding.