How are the games connected.

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
Blackstar1000

How are the games connected.

Post by Blackstar1000 »

Hi guys. I'm not sure where to field this question but I'll give this a shot.

I recently downloaded the alpha of Retroblazer. I'm sure most of you know what I am talking about.

Upon exiting the game (which was launched from a folder on my desktop). And entering the game I have been working on (Launched from my C:/mygame)

The Vertical axis for the mouse in my game has been removed. Perhaps there is a simple explanation or fix but recompiling my quakeC has had no effect.
I have spent a great deal of time perfecting my third person camera and now I cannot look up and down?!

How has this happened? How are these two games interacting with each other when launched from separate places? How can I correct this problem?
Knives out. Catch the mouse. Squash his head. Put him in your mouth.
Spike

Re: How are the games connected.

Post by Spike »

+mlook
though your engine may normally use a cvar for it, +mlook (in auttoexec.cfg if needs be) should be an alternative that works in any engine.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Retroblazer does something bad. And so do you. Do not use id1 for your game, always specify a unique game directory. Retroblazer should use retroblazerdata or something like that. Or modify its executable in a way that it will not alter someone's id1/data/home data.

Darkplaces nowadays stores user data like configs, screenshots, savegames etc in the operating system's designated user-dependant location for such files. On Linux that is ~/.darkplaces, on Windows I have no idea, something inside My Documents. Inside that directory it will use a directory with the game's name, eg id1/ or prydon/ .Now if someone uses a common game directory name like id1, Darkplaces has no idea that this id1 is not "the" id1. There is the -nohome switch to make Darkplaces only write to the directory it launched in. Either force that (properly, not with a shortcut/.sh/.bat) or be smart and use a unique game directory.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
stoleYourBike

Post by stoleYourBike »

lol games4windows standards working as intended

And it's not +mlook, it's m_pitch 0.022 (-.022 for inverted) to restore mlook
Blackstar1000

Post by Blackstar1000 »

Ah well I will defiantly look into this. I would hate to cause a similar conflict if I am ever to do a public release. Thankfully I have my game installed on at least 4 of my computers so I assume I can find a way to get this configuration data off of the other machines and revert whatever Retroblade did to mine. Can anyone go into more depth on how I am to correct this. Do I simply rename the id folder? How do I change the link in the exe. ? Be specific please I don't want to break anything I will not have time to troubleshoot.

ALSO
::EDIT:: m_pitch 0.022 did correct the problem. Thanks a lot.
Knives out. Catch the mouse. Squash his head. Put him in your mouth.