Embedding textures into existing HL BSP

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
JasonX

Embedding textures into existing HL BSP

Post by JasonX »

Does anyone know how to embed existing textures from WADs into a compiled HL BSP? I can do it with the .map and compiling a BSP, but can i do it with a compiled BSP that i don't have the source?
andrewj

Re: Embedding textures into existing HL BSP

Post by andrewj »

HL BSP does not require textures to be in the BSP, they can be external referenced from WAD3 files.

I guess it depends on how the BSP you have were compiled, whether the textures are external or internal. If they are external, you should (in theory) just need to supply the different ones in a WAD3 file (or some other method if using DarkPlaces).
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

I have implemented BSP support in my engine but i didn't want to add WAD support. Just read the embedded textures. Much easier! :mrgreen:
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Any ideas, guys? Thanks in advance!
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

To be honest I've never understood why you'd want to embed the textures into the bsp since if you have two maps that might use the same textures it's just wasteful :roll:
Baker

Post by Baker »

See compiler documentation. It is a command line parameter which I have used, but not lately and I do not remember the name of it.

You could probably look through the Half-Life SDK for the compiler read me files.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Which is more memory efficient? Textures baked into the HLSBP or using an external texture wad file? Like for the PSP for instance.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

If you keep it external you'll get less data redundancy which will lead to a smaller overall file size. The memory usage should remain the same.
Quake2 went all external for a reason. Look how small many of those custom maps are!
i should not be here
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

try quark, i found out today before work. that quark can even edit the entities in an already compiled .bsp, it also lists textures. maybe you could add,change, or delete textures as well?
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Download and Use Zoner's Half-Life Tools ( http://zhlt.info/ ) in Hammer.
The compile with the commands " -nowadtextures "

As seen on this page:
http://zhlt.info/command-reference.html#hlcsg

Along with a bunch of other commands you can use as well.

leileilol wrote:If you keep it external you'll get less data redundancy which will lead to a smaller overall file size. The memory usage should remain the same.
Quake2 went all external for a reason. Look how small many of those custom maps are!
Ah ok, yea that makes sense. I figured there would be some difference in memory usage though, drawing the required texture from a separate map rather than loading them with the bsp. So if you use external wads you might also get increased loading times wouldnt you?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Ghost_Fang wrote:So if you use external wads you might also get increased loading times wouldnt you?
The only real loading time difference here is if it's a disc-based media - redundant copies help the latter for the sake of read caching. Console games do this a lot.
i should not be here
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Oh ok, yea that makes sense.