Doom 3 engine release and game code

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
anonreclaimer

Re: Doom 3 engine release and game code

Post by anonreclaimer »

motorsep wrote:
anonreclaimer wrote:Hmm I like where your coming from but reckless and mh have done goods. Your trying no proving that d3 BFG can be a base for modders and not just indie developers that's cool and all but there still things BFG is missing which makes a lot of people uneasy but in till BFG can get some real tools it's going to be that way.
I never said they did useless stuff. However, BFG engine is out, it was ported to Linux, there was quite some digging done to determine whether it's usable or not. Finding in those diggings yielded that BFG is moddable and usable.

But, 'nuff me talking. When SS2 is out, and code is released, then whoever really needs it for Doom 3, they can find it useful.
Well when its release I'll be watching.

Best of luck
revelator

Post by revelator »

Im not opposed to the BFG source at all :) but it has some drawbacks like missing video rendering code because id used a propriarity model (bink) granted in time that can be fixed but atm im sticking to my guns :P.

Does not hurt to have a very updated version of the Vanilla code either :) that way people with mods built for it will not be left out.
Sure we could recreate those mods with BFG if the authors released the code, sadly a lot of them have not.

To toplle it of a lot of modders dislike id's move to statically linked game code :/

still fighting with dhewm3 it builds with the threading code but nothing happens :shock: i can see it running in the process manager though and its not crashing so i suspect it somehow wreaks havoc on SDL's internal threading.
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Hmm dhewm is stubborn it seems but heres the latest build with OpenMP support.

http://code.google.com/p/realm/download ... z&can=2&q=

Let me know how it runs for you.
qbism

Post by qbism »

motorsep wrote:
qbism wrote:Nope, still being sarcastic. I'm stunned to see this level of bullying on this forum. The insults are not acceptable.
Well, for you specifically, once again - there is no bullying. Maybe you got bullied sh$t out when you were younger, or maybe you still get bullied and therefore overly sensitive.

So keep being sarcastic, I can't believe level of sarcasm on this forum.
Sarcasm abounds. And feel free to just type the train of thought, but really. While we're psychoanalyzing, let's chalk it up to stress.

Some other forum might gush over the screenshots and nod heads politely. But where do you go for an honest opinion from experts? Eyerolling can convey more succinctly but to elaborate:

Hope you succeed but the end looks far away. Technical improvements understood but don't see why not dhewn3 or variant. Faster doesn't matter if it's 60fps vs 60fps. It's a nice art style but nothing is blowing up or interacting in the shots, effects, etc. Stuff standing around maybe running. Need a youtube video. It's cool but not enough to inspire yet. And if it remains toon-style w/o realtime shadows again the performance difference becomes less important. There's a hell of a lot of work ahead to make a stable BFG modding platform and the available horsepower (doom3 coders in the community) is not enough interest or quantity to complete it in a reasonable time. As the cowardly lion said, What have they got that you ain't got?: Coders. Just ask the DOA iodoom3. What few forces there be are divided between camps. The argument is not convincing enough to 'switch sides', so why not start tearing down the classic doom3 around here? Because it's not really a battle. It's already over. Backwards progress. Coders here aren't going to doom3world to undermine your project: talking about how attracting modders/coders to BFG will fail, the pipeline is monstrous, that it won't help the community, and why not switch engines. I3D doesn't need that treatment either.

RBDoom3BFG looks like it's a done project. Goals accomplished months ago, minor bugfix tweaking. No news. Minus an active-looking fork on Github, so we have to trust there's unreleased code going on. That's fine, but how is all this added up going to attract devs? Now it's very possible that it's just too early to tell, but the months go by fast.
qbism

Post by qbism »

reckless wrote:Hmm dhewm is stubborn it seems but heres the latest build with OpenMP support.

3D runs well but strangely 2D graphics don't render. 2010 ATI 5XXX laptop so maybe not in spec for something.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

reckless wrote:Hmm dhewm is stubborn it seems but heres the latest build with OpenMP support.

I tested it lighting,particles,smoke,and guis don't work too.

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/anonr ... t=3&page=1

PC spec

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor TF-20, ~1.6GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

I hope this will help too.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Holy hell :shock: Ok not expected it runs on this rig, but somethings definatly amiss cause at some point i had the same problem with the decals/particles, strangely enough it went away after some reverting of the code and i newer imagined it might still happen.

Forgot to tell you do not use any mods with this engine,
my changes to the code Means that doom3's old gamecode is 100% incompatible with it, thats why i included the game dll paks compiled against my version.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

reckless wrote:Holy hell :shock: Ok not expected it runs on this rig, but somethings definatly amiss cause at some point i had the same problem with the decals/particles, strangely enough it went away after some reverting of the code and i newer imagined it might still happen.

Forgot to tell you do not use any mods with this engine,
my changes to the code Means that doom3's old gamecode is 100% incompatible with it, thats why i included the game dll paks compiled against my version.
I get a good mix of good to bad fps with your engine.Well I hope you can pin point the problem soon.
but what happen to you back porting d3 BFG idlib and its render?

Also I was wondering did you ever get glsl working for vanilla doom 3 or get a good netcode in?
revelator

Post by revelator »

A good part of bfg's idlib is actually in that engine :) as for the glsl renderer its taking time and im on off atm cause of complications with a surgery (been to the hospital 10 times this year allready :S).

What kind of gfx Card do you have ? ati / nvidia brand etc. My own rig runs of 2 560 gtx ti in sli but even if i turn one of it still runs at 63 fps with vsync on on this rig.

Im using gDebugger to track slow rendering code but the slowdowns some experience does not seem to be caused by the renderer so its a bit hard to track.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

reckless wrote:A good part of bfg's idlib is actually in that engine :) as for the glsl renderer its taking time and im on off atm cause of complications with a surgery (been to the hospital 10 times this year allready :S).

What kind of gfx Card do you have ? ati / nvidia brand etc. My own rig runs of 2 560 gtx ti in sli but even if i turn one of it still runs at 63 fps with vsync on on this rig.

Im using gDebugger to track slow rendering code but the slowdowns some experience does not seem to be caused by the renderer so its a bit hard to track.
I've been bringing some stuff over BFG to doom 3 but I don't know how well I could port over but it will be good project.

I using a laptop from 2009 I don't get good frame rate from doom 3 and its a 2004 game go figure.
I have a ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics with 256 mb of video ram

I haven't been using a debugger since penumbra overture source so all I have a msvc so I'll probably switch to gDebugger.
I never know debuggers could detect slowdowns. I'm still learning C++ anyway.

I've been following your changes since a few months ago.So I've changed some of the engines code but its not very different from vanilla but still
I plan on make doom 3 run like slick oil like what valve did to source. :) hl2 alpha is more playable on my laptop then doom 3 :shock:
Anyway I would like to thank you for the work you have been doing.I'm like I said I'm willing to help out if you need a tester.Also I hope you get better.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

One of the biggest performance boost in BFG is attributed to GPU skeletal. Your laptop can't run BFG, and porting that into Doom 3 isn't possible. And without GPU skeletal, BFG almost as slow as Doom 3.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

motorsep wrote:One of the biggest performance boost in BFG is attributed to GPU skeletal. Your laptop can't run BFG, and porting that into Doom 3 isn't possible. And without GPU skeletal, BFG almost as slow as Doom 3.
There are other things I plan on porting that could help performance. I never really planed on porting the GPU skeletal but what makes it impossible?
Since you know more about the code base.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

The requirements for BFG are AMD 5xxx+ because models below that don't support glMapBuffer (either in hardware or in driver or both). I recall glMapBuffer is used for GPU skeletal, but I might be off a bit (maybe for something else too, besides GPU skeletal). So when I disabled GPU skeletal via cvar in BFG, fps dropped to almost the same level as in Doom 3. It was better, but not significantly better to say that multithreading helps a lot.

Note that for vanilla Doom 3 content maybe it wouldn't make too much difference, but for Steel Storm 2 GPU skeletal is a must have feature.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

motorsep wrote:The requirements for BFG are AMD 5xxx+ because models below that don't support glMapBuffer (either in hardware or in driver or both). I recall glMapBuffer is used for GPU skeletal, but I might be off a bit (maybe for something else too, besides GPU skeletal). So when I disabled GPU skeletal via cvar in BFG, fps dropped to almost the same level as in Doom 3. It was better, but not significantly better to say that multithreading helps a lot.

Note that for vanilla Doom 3 content maybe it wouldn't make too much difference, but for Steel Storm 2 GPU skeletal is a must have feature.
I don't have alot of knowledge on gpu skeletals but it does increase frame rate.
I'm gonna go over the code but the gpu skinning looks like its done in glsl.
I don't know I would have to do more research on the matter.
revelator

Post by revelator »

mapbuffer is actually in my engine as well so if it runs there im a bit stumped :shock:
i made a cvar for turning it off and using the old method, try setting r_useArbBufferRange to 0 do a vid_restart and see what happens.
It might net you an fps increase cause i had reports from ATI 4x series owners that while mapbuffer runs on them it unfortunatly runs like crap.

Damn those ATI Cards are gonna hunt me forever it seems :lol: