Doom 3 engine release and game code

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
raynorpat

Re: Doom 3 engine release and game code

Post by raynorpat »

It's out now.

:D
r00k

Post by r00k »

leileilol

Post by leileilol »

*SNAGS REPOSITORY AS ZIP ASAP!!!

Anyone able to compile this? I don't have VS 2010, just 6.

Someone port this to VC6.
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

Got it. :)

Gonna try a quick compile before bedtime.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
mh

Post by mh »

Interesting. Seems the editor uses MFC which won't work with Express. And, since the editor is integrated into the engine, it means that some surgery is required.

Alternately I could just grab a set of MFC headers and libs from work...
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

Man, the scripting language code (compiler and execution) looks familiar....... :wink:
r00k

Post by r00k »

leileilol wrote:*SNAGS REPOSITORY AS ZIP ASAP!!!

Anyone able to compile this? I don't have VS 2010, just 6.

Someone port this to VC6.
i downloaded the 2010 pro trial and its still compiling....

OH YEAH! 4 succeeded 1 failed and 3 warnings, but the win32 exe compiled! :D

Welp this is what i get when I run it, wrong game API version.
raynorpat

Post by raynorpat »

@r00k: needs the 1.3.1 patch

unfortunately it also seems the typelib exe is hardcoded to look for the doom folder on the root of the hard drive to generate headers from the scripts, kinda like how qbsp is hardcoded to look for the quake folder off the root of the hard drive.
mh

Post by mh »

Just got a clean compile (aside from a load of precompiled header warnings that I'm gonna ignore for now). Using 2010 Pro SP1, June 2010 DXSDK.

It seems as though the TypeLib project is not needed for building, so you can remove that from your Solution Explorer.

Next step is to try removing the editor and other tools code from the engine. Aside from bloating the executable (no big deal in the days of 4GB+ RAM machines IMO) the use of MFC shuts out Express users, and so it must die.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I'd love to follow your progress through commits on Github (or else). ;)
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
mh

Post by mh »

Spirit wrote:I'd love to follow your progress through commits on Github (or else). ;)
I may do a public SVN as soon as I get a decent baseline to start working more seriously from.

Current objectives look something like this:
  • Remove tools/etc from source to eliminate MFC dependency.
  • Port project to MSVC 2008 Express.
  • Remove alternate rendering backends - ARB2 only baby!
  • Try to do something about map load times. DDS only all the way? Get rid of BGR->RGB swap for TGAs? Something else?
Beyond that I'm vague. A D3D port is a longer term objective, and I think - despite the fact that the engine uses shaders in game content - I can get away with it, as the renderer is really based around fixed func requirements, and light interaction appears to be the only shader-based stuff in it. Alternately I may write an ARB asm to HLSL converter (I've had a slight itch to do something like that for a while).

Cute fact. The original code name for the Q3A engine was Trinity. Doom 3 is Neo. What betting that Rage is Morpheus?

Update: it runs clean too. :)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

mh wrote:Cute fact. The original code name for the Q3A engine was Trinity. Doom 3 is Neo. What betting that Rage is Morpheus?
Since Trinity's name for Q3 was coined in 9th of August, 1997.... the Neo connection was probably a joke then he stuck with it. like Valve and "Source" (HAHAHA SOURCE ENGINE HAHAHAAHAHAH DUMBEST NAME EVER)

There's still tr_ (Trinity) prefixes in Doom3 code, as a shock to me the engine is derivative (!)
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

Got a pleasant surprise that the skybox to cubemap conversion code I put into both RMQ and DirectQ is more or less identical to that in Doom 3. :)

There's a nice looking MMX memcpy in there that might be useful.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

According to the readme the Carmack's Reverse code was disabled, so it won't work. However, the readme doesn't mention whether they also removed it, so it may be hidden in there somewhere.

It's interesting to think that if the code is there, any derivative engines that re-enables it may be infringing Creative's patent.

By the way, the only thing I'd really like to have in this engine is an efficient relief mapping implementation. There's a mod that does it, but it runs awfully slow. I wonder how fast an updated renderer could get it working.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

mankrip wrote:According to the readme the Carmack's Reverse code was disabled, so it won't work. However, the readme doesn't mention whether they also removed it, so it may be hidden in there somewhere.

It's interesting to think that if the code is there, any derivative engines that re-enables it may be infringing Creative's patent.
The code for Carmack's Reverse is not in this at all, that's the whole point. If it was then they'd still be going against Creative's patent. From my understand Carmack has replaced it with a less speedy technique.