Darkplaces, Cube2 or Qfusion?

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.

Which do you have?

Cube2
No votes
Darkplaces
50%
Qfusion
33%
Quake, either vanilla, gl, fitz ...
17%

Total votes: 6

daemonicky

Darkplaces, Cube2 or Qfusion?

Post by daemonicky »

What are pros and cons of each? Is there a comparison of features? Which to choose? Thank you very much. :)
Spirit

Re: Darkplaces, Cube2 or Qfusion?

Post by Spirit »

daemonicky wrote:Which to choose?
Depends. ;)

What I do not like about Sauerbraten ist that the game code is not seperated from the engine.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

From the little I know...

Sauerbraten

Pros:
- A great renderer, with great performance and good features
- A good built-in map editor
- Maps can be edited directly, with no need for source files
- BSD/MIT-style license.

Cons:
- No curved surfaces
- No 2D views in the map editor
- The source code is in C++, but it doesn't seem to be as object-oriented as, let's say, Irrlicht.
- OpenGL only, no Direct3D renderer.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Baker

Post by Baker »

At some point in time you just need to roll up sleeves, take a leap of faith and jump in the pool.

Doing too much research in advance is procrastination. Knowledge gained from one project can be used in another.

I've played with the Sauerbraten engine (like played the game, I never did anything other than peek at the code). I know nothing of the Qfusion engine except it is a more pretty Q3 engine of some sort.

But what I do know is that DarkPlaces development does not require as much as knowledge as C or C++ coding and there is an adequate pool of knowledge.

With Qfusion or Sauerbraten, you are going to have to either write .dlls (Qfusion) or modify the engine code (Sauerbraten).

Models and sounds can be converted for use in a different engine. Sauerbraten supports .md2 for example (I'm rather sure of this). So does DarkPlaces. Probably all 3 support .md3 and may have other shared or rather easily shared model formats.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..