quake1 for playstation1

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
sigboy

quake1 for playstation1

Post by sigboy »

i have a question give it a port to play quake1 on a playstation1 i would build up a mod with doom2 changes on the playstation and the weapons
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

sounds lame waste of time
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

Quake II was ported to the PS1 and while it's data sets are admittedly larger the same core problems remain. Sheer lack of memory caused the maps to be quite severely partitioned, with even something as small and simple as base1 needing several extended dog-leg corridors linking areas (with long loading times as you move from one to the other - dual speed CD-ROM - oh yes!) If memory serves it didn't even have an FPU. Think of the heroic effort required to get Quake running on the PSP; in terms of basic spec and performance the PSP is several generational leaps ahead of the PS1.

Not only would you need to completely rewrite the engine, you'd also need to completely rebuild the data and severely compress everything. A progs.dat, some basic MDLs and a small map are more than sufficient to exhaust that 2MB of main memory.

For a comparitive and relevant example, look what needed to be done to get Quake running on the Sega Saturn. A completely different engine was needed, huge simplification of architecture, including blocking off some areas to get visibility down even further. Massive reduction in effects. Even when porting to the N64 a lot of reduction and simplification was needed, and not all of that due to the limitations of cartridge space.

So no, Quake on the PS1 - while it certainly could be done - is not going to be done unless an absolute enthusiast for the platform is prepared to put a lot of effort into it.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

what he really wants to do is port Quake to Doom and use the 1995 PSX Doom port for it, much like all those illegal 'ports' of games for PDAs some years ago, which was just Doom with replaced graphics from other games and stolen community maps. (like that "Heretic" port *shudder*)

BY THE WAY - Quake's PSX port was cancelled in 1997.
i should not be here
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

leileilol wrote:BY THE WAY - Quake's PSX port was cancelled in 1997.
Did they actually work on that? Are there any screenshots, or list of changes from the PC version?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
sigboy

and a ps2 port or for ps3

Post by sigboy »

goes that for ps2 or ps3 it gives quake3 i think for ps2 but quake1 for ps3 where nice like e port for ps3 than can friends play with me with keyboard and than have they no problems with gfx and that all
behind_you

Re: and a ps2 port or for ps3

Post by behind_you »

sigboy wrote:goes that for ps2 or ps3 it gives quake3 i think for ps2 but quake1 for ps3 where nice like e port for ps3 than can friends play with me with keyboard and than have they no problems with gfx and that all

............. :shock:

i remember quake 1 on the n64. gd times...