Bengt Jardrup's Source Code

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
mh

Bengt Jardrup's Source Code

Post by mh »

Bengt Jardrup has this rather nasty habit of not releasing full source code for his engines and tools. This means that they won't compile as released, and is a shame as his stuff is otherwise good and useful.

In cases where the original source code that he based his work on is easily available and downloadable, it can be worked with. In cases where the original code is not so easily available and downloadable, we have a potentially grievous loss to the community.

I thought it might be an idea to collect links for the originals in one place; this way the full code needed to compile his stuff can always be available to the entire community.

Bengt Jardrup's Homepage

Source code links for the following tools are required:
  • TxQBSP
  • TreeQBSP
  • RVis
Source code for the following is available at ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com:
  • Light
  • BSPInfo
  • Quake
Other tools available on his page are, I believe, original works not based on a pre-existing tool, and therefore don't fall under the category of tools for which full code should be available.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Aren't the sources for Tree- and TxQBSP included in the zip files?

RVis was not made by him from what I know.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
mh

Post by mh »

Spirit wrote:Aren't the sources for Tree- and TxQBSP included in the zip files?
Only for the files he's modified himself; any code file he hasn't modified is left out, so there's loads of essential files missing. The same applies to all of his stuff, including his engines.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

It's also the case that the files he does include don't have the right paths in the zip file, you you have to guess at where they need to go. (specifically for tools source, which has a directory structure.)
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

anyway i agree this is a good idea. Just a re-packaging with everything you need to compile it would be great.