Crawling on Walls...?

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
Ranger366

Crawling on Walls...?

Post by Ranger366 »

After some playing of Aliens versus Predator, Alien Class, i asked me how Wall Crawling would be possible in Quake. Actually it changes alot in the Movement thought... And dont want to think of the worst possible answer (playing with the Gravity, rotating the view and changing playermoving in a crappy way..) i decided to ask here.
Spike

Post by Spike »

the client would need to be fixed to allow full angle changes, rather than being purely pitch/yaw/roll. player movement would have to accept an 'up' direction that is not always up.
probably the biggest issue is that you can't rotate a player hull, and so you would need to implement some sort of capsule tracing allowing you to treat the alien as a sphere, rather than a box - this could perhaps be done purely in qbsp. Without doing so, your alien will never be able to scale cave walls, and it'll look completely broken in multiplayer (when standing on a wall, you'll be closer than if you were standing on the floor, and the ceiling is again different).
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

Wow, more to change than i thought.
Actually i think Quake's Movement is kinda worse, the Collision was a big problem for my mods thought too (not movement related and per poly collision fixed alot - yeah)
I never thought of making an Alien related mod, but good to know that. For me it was always a big point of making Quake even more easiert to modify, as example Full rotation of the Player View Cam over QC. And after learning and understanding over the hours of working with Quake, i love it even more to build my own Worlds in it... Super!
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

I would try using an invisible MOVETYPE_NOCLIP entity for the player, whose input velocity would be rotated and applied to a secondary MOVETYPE_FLY entity showing the character model, and would set the camera view to this entity.

Dunno if SOLID_TRIGGER could help on the collision; maybe something similar to the hypnotic mission pack's rotating doors should be done.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

It could be made some simpler climbing, just like climbing a ladder. Somehow specify which surfaces are climbable. The character can move up/down, left and right on these surfaces. Then you don't have to worry about the view rotating.
zbang!