Stocking GLQuake with better Model Formats...

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
Ranger366

Stocking GLQuake with better Model Formats...

Post by Ranger366 »

Hello everyone,
after some Quake Engine Coding, and preparing Operations with some newer Tests on Quake, i really hate the Quake Model format's Vertex Animations and sucked up quake palette skin.
I was looking around here, and on quakesrc tutorials about implentation support for MD3 or so. And because there is only MD2 Tutorial, wich isnt really a help because of the glibber animations (and incorrect lightning i see :S), im trying to ask here if someone could help to stock quake with md3 or hl mdl. Im not someone who ripps off stuff from Quake Engines by himself, im not an tutorial friend, but im doing now everything in this case. I already looked at some HL MDL and MD3 code, wich were the best ones for quake. but im not very skilled in engine coding.

btw i will try to add IQM now... if i get it to work.

Thanks.
Feared

Post by Feared »

Your best bet would probably be Qrack or the Quake 3 code.
I can't remember where, but somewhere on the forums they started a tutorial for MD3's in quake. ( I cannot remember who or if they ever finished it)

Good luck.
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

I read that Thread many times, but it was needed to borrow some code from JoeQuake by yourself and such.
Feared

Post by Feared »

Ranger366 wrote:I read that Thread many times, but it was needed to borrow some code from JoeQuake by yourself and such.
I may take a crack at making a tutorial, if I have the time. (which I doubt I will with K&L2 and Mafia 2 coming out)
Was planning on adding MD3 support, anyways.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

In the quakesrc.org archives you may find an some code from reckless, although not 100% functional. It was based on Tomaz cleansrc if I remember correctly.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

yep and got much further with it since i wrote it only to loose the data in a hardware crash :(

i might ressurect it i remember most of what i fixed but may take a little.

last version supported anything a normal quake model did shadows etc.
Swift

Re: Stocking GLQuake with better Model Formats...

Post by Swift »

Ranger366 wrote:Hello everyone,
after some Quake Engine Coding, and preparing Operations with some newer Tests on Quake, i really hate the Quake Model format's Vertex Animations and sucked up quake palette skin.
I was looking around here, and on quakesrc tutorials about implentation support for MD3 or so. And because there is only MD2 Tutorial, wich isnt really a help because of the glibber animations (and incorrect lightning i see :S), im trying to ask here if someone could help to stock quake with md3 or hl mdl. Im not someone who ripps off stuff from Quake Engines by himself, im not an tutorial friend, but im doing now everything in this case. I already looked at some HL MDL and MD3 code, wich were the best ones for quake. but im not very skilled in engine coding.

btw i will try to add IQM now... if i get it to work.

Thanks.
If you're programming to create a game, I would are argue that you're unequivocally better off forking Darkplaces than starting from scratch in GLQuake. Not to mention that it supports Quake 3 models and tags.

On the other hand if you're programming for learning then it wouldn't be a bad idea to write MD3 rendering from scratch. It isn't that hard. Again, look to Quake 3, FTE etc for headers. Better still, implement IQM.

Alternatively go to FTEQuake for HLMDL rendering.