Quake(one) to C++

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I got it to run (with errors). The errors might be down to me missing some vc++ files.

It ran at something like 4 frames per second, but it ran.

Something strange was going on with the teleporter texture, it looked
like the players view was being projected onto it. Kind of neat, then the teleporter view went upside down hehe.

Anyway interesting : )
Feared

Post by Feared »

I'd love to join this argument but it's the never ending war. ;)

Anyways, @Baker http://bfeared.com/projects/quakecpp
It's pretty much just FitzQuake, so nothing special, yet.

@gnounc, What in the world? I have a pre-compiled exe on my site, try that out, and what version of MSVS are you using?

Edit:
Did you try compiling in release mode?
I do remember not having fixed debug mode before releasing, I may need to do a update again, I just gotta get these cvar's working and I'll make another update.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I was using the precompiled binary: ) it was bitching about a dll so I installed the c++ libraries and the bitching went away.
Feared

Post by Feared »

gnounc wrote:I was using the precompiled binary: ) it was bitching about a dll so I installed the c++ libraries and the bitching went away.
What O/S are you running?
I'll try and look into this, I just need a little more info.

Do you remember the name of the DLL at all?

Thanks!
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

msvcr100

win7 (tiny7)
Stroggos

Post by Stroggos »

I'm doing something like this but with the original Q1 Sources. I started with he CVAR stuff and then worked my way up. It was interesting getting intimate with some Q1 code.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

Show us!
Feared

Post by Feared »

Stroggos wrote:I'm doing something like this but with the original Q1 Sources. I started with he CVAR stuff and then worked my way up. It was interesting getting intimate with some Q1 code.
I originally planned on using the Q1 Sources but ended up doing this because the ASM junk was already gone and I didn't feel like getting rid of it from the original code. ^^

Good luck on your project.
gnounc wrote:msvcr100

win7 (tiny7)
I thought VCRedist was automatically installed on Windows 7, that sounds like a tiny7/custom package issue.
Try installing this latest redist:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... bf0912db84

Edit:
Oh and mh, I stole some code from DirectQ, if you don't mind. I've noted you in the source. (cvar registering to be exact, saves me time, thanks)

:)
mh

Post by mh »

Feared wrote:Oh and mh, I stole some code from DirectQ, if you don't mind. I've noted you in the source. (cvar registering to be exact, saves me time, thanks)

:)
You're more than welcome to steal whatever you want. :D

I'm following this one with interest. 8)
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Stroggos

Post by Stroggos »

I will show you guys soon just got to clean and fix a few things first. Also I want to include LZMA compression, and Quake III unzip.c/.h, as well as OpenAL EAX surround sound.
Feared

Post by Feared »

@gnounc
Try this new executable if you have the chance, I think it might have been the Whole Program Optimization (doesn't seem to friendly) that's causing the problem.

http://bfeared.com/library/software/qua ... est001.rar
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Stroggos wrote:I want to include LZMA compression
You go do that. LZMA for games = BAD IDEA.
i should not be here
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

downloaded that link, the new binary does exactly the same thing as the old one did.

I'm on an intel 945gm graphics card. (integrated graphics)

2.0 ghz dual core processor.
Stroggos

Post by Stroggos »

leileilol wrote:
Stroggos wrote:I want to include LZMA compression
You go do that. LZMA for games = BAD IDEA.
Just trying to include some features which some people may find handy. Since I wrote that post I have opted to use PhysFS by Icculus which does some really cool things.
Feared

Post by Feared »

Hmmm, I'm having this problem all of a sudden, (after updating my video drivers that have opengl 4.0 support) but it's very random, sometimes it just crashes, get's 2 fps, or just works fine.
I'll look into this, thanks gnounc for pointing this out, I would've blamed my video drivers otherwise.