A tutorial reqeust

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Spike wrote: It also won't perform too well on a psp, probably (heap issues).
Pretty much the problem I ran into.
Spike wrote: if you're making a psp mod, just change the engine to use whatever clientside stuff you need.
Pretty much exactly what I'm doing.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I've been saying for a while now that RMQ is looking into CSQC for a number of things.

Quake needs an example mod that does more than just pop up a "hello world" sign using csqc, and has a realistic chance to be finished, documented, and released? Hmm, to be frank, the only team capable of (and interested in) doing all that at the moment is us.

It's all well and good to be talking about how bad everything is, but talk is cheap. At the end of the day, someone has to sit down and do it. So far, RMQ has a pretty good track record of doing exactly that.

Bottom line, we're going to try this one way or the other. Serving as an example mod could be a side effect of what we do anyway, but we're not going to suck any dicks for tutorials.

RMQ is having its own engine, based on Quakespasm / FitzSDL. We are adding what we need to that, just like the Nehahra team did in its time. FitzSDL is pretty popular, and this engine AND the mod that uses it could act as a complete, documented (!), example implementation, with accessible and commented engine and QC source, with .def and .fgd files included for mappers. That's how we like to do things.

Incidentally, RMQ could also act as a test case for engine developers - we're not breaking every limit, or using every feature out there, but most of them.

Ideally someone knowledgeable would temporarily join our team and help us with the engine CSQC support, as well as wrapping our heads around it so we can document it. That would likely speed things up and motivate us. But again, we won't go around begging. If we have to do it completely by ourselves, it'll just take longer, and we'll be less motivated, but we'll manage.

Just food for thought, since there was talk of an example mod.