Qfusion-programation-help¡

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
franqutrass

Qfusion-programation-help¡

Post by franqutrass »

hello, I have question, as I can do that when I use an "item" (EXAMPLE: quad damage, invulneravility), changes the model of gun in my hand?
hello
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Hello,

This can be done in different ways. Using plain QuakeC, for example:

Code: Select all

if ((self.items & IT_QUAD) && (self.weaponmodel == "progs/v_shotgun.mdl"))
{
  self.weaponmodel = "progs/v_qshotgun.mdl";
}
Or, if you want the kind of glow effect used in Quake3, you will need a modified engine that support it. Darkplaces, for example.

I have a question, too: can you use a smaller image in your avatar ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

We don't really cover anything other than Quake 1 based engines here, you'll need to look elsewhere for Qfusion help.

Also, please replace your avatar with a much smaller picture.
Apathy Now!
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

In fairness, he did post in the correct forum section.
Roaming status: Testing and documentation
mh

Post by mh »

OK, you've been asked everytime you post to use a smaller avatar. The message isn't getting through, and if you want help you will need to show some respect for the wishes of people you are asking.

Try this out for size:

THIS IS TOO BIG

THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT

Now PLEASE can you pick a smaller avatar.

Secondly, this is - as has been mentioned - mainly a Quake ONE board. That means that we don't know much about qFusion.

Have you tried contacting the author? Have you searched on Google for qFusion and perhaps found this page: http://www.hells-atrium.net/qfusion/qfusion_r9/

Have you looked for help on modding Quake II? You give no indication that you want to help yourself, please try first and ask specific questions about specific problems in the right place.

Thank you.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
franqutrass

Post by franqutrass »

someone must know something about programming "C or C + +", please if you know how to write it on this website.
hello
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

franqutrass wrote:someone must know something about programming "C or C + +", please if you know how to write it on this website.
Dude, for the last time:

Some of us do know about C or C++ programming, but that's not enough to help you. NOBODY here knows about QFusion, and you need someone who knows about this to help you. If your questions are not Quake 1 related, then you're really wasting your time here. :roll:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mh

Post by mh »

You start with main, then you learn about data types and flow control, then you go on to functions and pointers, and if you're learning C++ you will get some awesome mindbending stuff in there that will make you feel like you've had a few beers too many.

Seriously, nobody is going to tell you about C or C++ in the space of a forum post or two. Not because they don't want to, but because you're asking for too much.

Let me put it this way.

Imagine that you're a mechanic. Imagine that you know how to fix the engine in a car.

With some luck and common sense you might be able to also fix the engine in a motorcycle.

You will likely never be able to fix the engine in a Boeing 747.

Same basic principles but a completely different application of those principles.

Less than 1% of knowledge about a program is knowledge of the language it's written in. An experienced good programmer can learn a new language in a week. That's easy.

The hard part is knowledge of how all the little pieces are put together. Why decisions were made to do something one way instead of another. Where functions are called from, what the parameters mean in terms of the program, what the effect of calling things out of order is, and so on.

If it's code you've never seen before, and if it's large enough, it can take years to become familiar with it.

I've never seen the qFusion code before, and it's likely that very few people reading your questions have either.

So a tip.

Download the qFusion code yourself. Look at it, read it. Read the part of it that gets called when you use an item. Read the part of it that gets called when you change weapons. Run it in the debugger and set breakpoints all over the place, see how things work. Study some existing mods, learn what's different and how it was done. Try and put two and two together. Try to learn yourself, it's more fun!

If you can't understand that then try something else. Everybody starts small and everybody learns to walk before they try to run.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for