exec problem

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
Chip

exec problem

Post by Chip »

I created a myconfig.cfg file to be executed when I start DarkPlaces. The only problem is that when I add "loadsky mysky" Quake wouldn't start.

I moved only this instruction in a separate file and I'm execing it when I start Quake. But that's wrong. I want to start the game and already have the skybox loaded. The images are all there, when I exec it from the console it works perfectly.

Not from default.cfg though. Is this a DP problem? Or am I missing something?
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Depends what you are up to, but you can specify skyboxes in the worldspawn of maps ("sky" "skyname", eg "sky" "myawesomesky_").
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Spike

Post by Spike »

loadsky is a command, not a variable
if you start up dp without playing any demos ('alias startdemos echo NODEMOSMWAAHAHA' maybe, or edit quake.rc), does it still crash?
not sure if DP's renderer is actually started when your config is execed, thus any command that depends upon the gl context being initialised will fail.
in that regard, try adding vid_restart just before your loadsky command.
Although I suspect that your old skybox is forgotten about on each and every map change anyway
Chip

Thanks

Post by Chip »

I will take Spirit's advice and try it tonight. It's better like this. I can have diferrent skyboxes with every map.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.