Decent 3 Way Merge Tool?

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
Baker

Decent 3 Way Merge Tool?

Post by Baker »

Does anyone know of a decent 3 way folder compare/file merge tool. WinMerge is what I use for 2 way merge, but I've long wanted 3 way merge capabilities.

I'm currently playing around with DiffMerge and Merge (a commercial product), the former offers 3 way file merge but not 3 way folder merge and the latter offers both.

/I'm only talking about something with a GUI; I'm personally not interested in any non-gui methods.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I never tried 3 way but KDiff3 (Linux) can do that for files and folders.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Baker

Post by Baker »

I ignored that one because it sounded like a Linux-only command line utility ;)

I'll probably have to check that out, since this Araxis Merge utility although nice in some ways, isn't really geared for code. It has a nice 3 way merge, but is more oriented towards documents and maybe HTML/XML stuff.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I used to use Eclipse at one of my old jobs. We had something like 4 or 5 different versions of the same software for various clients, and occasionally had to merge changes across branches or into every branch. We also had to do it on a line-by-line basis (or even make microchanges within lines) with great care so that we didn't end up toasting important code on the receiving project. I sometimes merged 3 documents at once this way, and 2 documents was a breeze compared to winmerge etc. It will also compare entire directory trees and allow you to step from file to file in the diff with ease.

Eclipse is a fairly hefty package to be installing for only its merge capabilities though. :)
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.