Registering on the Inside3D Forums

Important information from InsideQC staff and news post discussion threads.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Registering on the Inside3D Forums

Post by FrikaC »

EDIT: Things changed, see new post

Due to a recent rash of automated posters, the Inside3D forums now use a method of authentication called KittenAuth. In this Captcha scheme you will be presented with a grid of images and a question related to these images. The strength of the system is in the customization and is best handled if each installed message board has a seperate set of questions and images. The Inside3D forums use images from the id software game Quake. The questions ask for you to identify which pictures are monsters, keys, powerups, weapons or armors.

If you've been living under a rock your entire life and you are completely unfamiliar with Quake or are otherwise having trouble registering, You can download the shareware version of the game, located here http://www.quakeone.com/freequake/en.html to familiarize yourself. If you are visually impaired you may register by contacting me at frikac@inside3d.com. Please use the word Inside3D in the subject line to bypass my spam filter.

Thank you for your interest in Inside3D.
Last edited by FrikaC on Wed May 02, 2007 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

You're welcome!
Jukki

Re: Registering on the Inside3D Forums

Post by Jukki »

Seems to work fine :P

Sory i had to :)
Ace12GA

Post by Ace12GA »

Hehe, truly is sort of funny.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

actually... i hopped on today hoping to find something interesting to read and this bot has ruined a small part of my day -.- they seem to be getting worse..
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

This is one reason why we realy need some knd of internet id for everyone...

But in otherside that would suck
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Jukki wrote:This is one reason why we realy need some knd of internet id for everyone...

But in otherside that would suck

Huh... Nope. Not really.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

minor inconvienience maybe but its a hell of a lot more inconvinient to wade through a ton of spam to get to the post you want to watch :)
Productivity is a state of mind.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

An "internet ID" (that surely won't be free) can't solve the spam problem; it will only create another - a whole black market of stolen "internet ID's".

Regarding our immediate problem, I think it's better to disable new users automatically signing up. Any new applicant would be required to send an e-mail request to an admin to be admitted. I know, sounds very antipathetic, but our community is small enough to this to work. I would even voluntary to make the check for human non spammers candidates if the admins think it's too much of a burden.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
r00k

Post by r00k »

Back in the day, on BBSs the sysop would call you back and get voice confirmation ;)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

r00k wrote:Back in the day, on BBSs the sysop would call you back and get voice confirmation ;)
Those were the days... LOL

But some Quake-related captcha would work well enough too I suppose.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

It doesn't seem to work well. Tonight at 10:13 PM(Italy,gmt +1) the site is invaded by spam on all recent threads :(
I think if it wouldn't be better, because there aren't plenty of users registering every day, to block new users and send an authorization mail to administrator, who could send an invitation mail to the user. Granting if he/she's a real human (he/she should reply to the administrator with a simple introduction mail), the administrator would unblock the user and everything would be fine! I know it seems a mess but I don't think it would be happen every second, we are a small community after all! :)
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Ace12GA

Post by Ace12GA »

frag.machine wrote:An "internet ID" (that surely won't be free) can't solve the spam problem; it will only create another - a whole black market of stolen "internet ID's".

Regarding our immediate problem, I think it's better to disable new users automatically signing up. Any new applicant would be required to send an e-mail request to an admin to be admitted. I know, sounds very antipathetic, but our community is small enough to this to work. I would even voluntary to make the check for human non spammers candidates if the admins think it's too much of a burden.
This is the solution, even if it does mean a little more work. It was the only way I could keep spam off my boards. Its a shame, because it can deter a new valid user pretty easily, but it does mean spammer don't generally get in.

I toyed with a sticky thread in the general and news section of my boards that had a contact address. The idea was, if you registered, send an email to that contact address with the user name you registered as. Then I would activate the accounts of people that actually read the posts on registering. It stopped one or two valid users I suspect, but it also stopped the spammers dead. I would check the mail box, validate new users and activate their accounts, then run a script on the board database that removed all accounts that had not been activated. The SQL query was something like this:

Code: Select all

DELETE FROM `phpbb_users` WHERE `user_active`='0' AND `username`!='anonymous';
That was for PHPBB2 mind you.
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Just disable register for now :twisted: New users are mostly psp-kiddos anyways :D

BTW, if you are using reCaptcha, I read somewhere that it is not safe to use (was cracked or something)
ratbert

Post by ratbert »

Looks like still spammers around. New one "Yopemrlde" is posted a ton of crap.