New Deathmatch Server Side Mod by Monster

Important information from InsideQC staff and news post discussion threads.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

New Deathmatch Server Side Mod by Monster

Post by scar3crow »

Monster has deployed the latest rendition of his server side mod, which is a twist and expansion on Canadian*Sniper's NewDM mod. The emphasis is on new experiences in original deathmatch, through beefing up the other weapons while retaining the ferocity of the classic RL/GL/Shaft trinity, and also preventing the dampening effects patterns can have on the game experience. Being a DarkPlaces server, you can find it in the DarkPlaces server list, but any client with proper networking is welcome to join in! A few of the tweaks are:
  • A lot of weapon tweaks, including adjusted ammo counts, damage and fire rates
    Player spawning is randomized, silent and with 50 armor
    Random powerup spawning, with varied respawn times
    Pentagram now absorbs 80% damage, not 100%; Biosuit offers health regeneration and the Ring of Shadows increases ax damage to 80
    Map cycling is impacted by player count
    Vote options for map (specific or random) and teamplay
    Frikbots to amp up the carnage, with a voting system to control them
On top of all this, the server runs approximately 140 deathmatch maps, as well as the id1 maps, for true variety. All of the supported user maps can be downloaded here, so go give them a download, and hit up newdm.quakeone.com in your favorite engine for some fresh life in Quake killing!
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Monster

Post by Monster »

:D Thanks for the news post scar3crow. You're better at summarizing the mod than I am.

A few nights ago, had around eight actual players on the server... most fun I've had gaming in a very long time. Here's a youtube video showcasing one of the more insane maps, manson2.bsp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xx3WvlzmQg&fmt=18

Unfortunately the quality didn't come out as good as I'd hoped... I think youtube does some extra compression that it doesn't tell me about:(

Also I'd like to give a thanks to Supa for helping me with some code and also for overhauling the Frikbots to run using DP's physics. No more strange frikbot problems anymore! :D
Karall

Post by Karall »

Too bad i cant play on the server. Lags too much :(
Monster

Post by Monster »

Hmm... lags too much you say? Where are you located?

The server is in chicago, IL. There should be no lag or ping spiking other than the latency from connection... It is professionally hosted by Fatpipe servers and paid for by me. Connections should be quite stable. I haven't experienced any such problems... Let me know what is going on... :)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Just tried your server, Monster. It was years since I played DM Quake last time. Got a reasonable ping (+/- 180ms, no packet losses) for a server outside Brazil, where I live. Mopped the ground with a bunch of bots playing there, looks like I haven't completely lost my Quake legs after all. ;)

We should really play more frequently. :D
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Monster

Post by Monster »

:D Good to hear... Yeah I've had a few players from around Brazil/South America connecting. Good to hear you could still put up a nice challenge even with that ping ;)

Yes we should... check the server browsers for players! :D
Dark$oul71

Post by Dark$oul71 »

Hey Monster,

nice mod...I joined your server ths Friday and ping times seem to be fine with ~ 200 ms from central Europe.

Say, is you mod available for download ?
Monster wrote: Here's a youtube video showcasing one of the more insane maps, manson2.bsp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xx3WvlzmQg&fmt=18

Unfortunately the quality didn't come out as good as I'd hoped... I think youtube does some extra compression that it doesn't tell me about:(
In regard to your youtube quality this behaviour is normal. Youtube always recompresses your video and the only approach to get maximum quality is
a) to use a maximum resolution (may be even scaling up your source video)
b) using h264 instead of any MPEG4 SP (e.g. DivX)
c) capturing in maximum quality (e.g. Huffyuv over MJPEG when using ffmpeg X11 capturing abilities under Linux)
I always recompress my videos using h264, handbrake or ffmpeg with libx264. I did an experiment with the same video captured with FRAPS in 1280x1024 which I uploaded as high bitrate XVid as well as high bitrate h264. The resulting video from the h264 source was much sharper with more details and less compression artifacts compared to the XVid source. On my PC with a 19" TFT I couldn´t tell a difference between the both source videos though.

My guess: Youtube does a quick (re)compression on the uploaded files which causes severe artifacts to show up. A solid 2pass here would do wonders but cost of cause their CPU time. :lol:

-D$
Monster

Post by Monster »

Thanks for the feedback!... Yeah your name looks familiar, thought I saw you on there, hehe. Sorry for the late response, I unfortunately rarely check these forums.

Not planning on releasing it or making it available for download anytime soon... It's really just a server-side mod. But if someone wants to host it somewhere, I'll send it to them :D

There is a NewDM server in Europe by the way, hosted by the always kind Polarite. The address is flanders.servequake.com:26003

-Thanks for the tips on Youtube... I recorded that as a demo first, then later captured it with Fraps (half-resolution) my resolution is 1680x1050. And 60 FPS capture-rate. I'll have to try those methods sometime if I ever record another video (I'm a noob with this kind of stuff).

My upload speed is terrible, so uploading to youtube always takes forever... I think that file was around 650 MB.. had to upload it overnight :P

Appreciate the feedback... :)
Hewlet

Re: New Deathmatch Server Side Mod by Monster

Post by Hewlet »

Great mod!
Does this mod have a team-only spectate option?