Spambot Policy and other such problems

Important information from InsideQC staff and news post discussion threads.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Spambot Policy and other such problems

Post by scar3crow »

In the event when a spambot or anything of that ilk gets through the captcha, or similar unsavory events, you should contact myself and FrikaC about having it removed. I will say outright I have not been as active as I used to, in fact the bulk of the time I am online currently is during my work hours; I cannot speak for FrikaC as to this, but the surest way to get a response in a decent time range is to leave a message on irc with our respective accounts.

Please contact myself, FrikaC, or Error with an Inside3d private message via the forums, or if you are on irc, you can find us on Anynet in #qc, once again with a private message. When a spambot posts, please do not reply, but rather contact either, or both, of us with the URL of the thread. Thanks.

Please note that any responses to a spam post will be deleted as well, to prevent confusing context changes in the thread.
Last edited by scar3crow on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
mh

Post by mh »

Cheers. On another forum I'm on the mods advocate replying to spambot threads so that they will always be at or near the top, and therefore more noticeable. Also prevents the mods from getting 427 PMs about the same thread. Might be an idea (although admittedly it wouldn't work for cases where a bot posts to a previously existing thread)?
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I can also delete messages and topics made by spambots, but not actually ban / remove the spambot usernames. (I dunno how to do that, or if I even can)

I'll keep an eye open for any that I see, I actually deleted out one that had posted to the "What are you working on?" thread a couple of weeks or so ago... The only reason I didn't delete the one that was there this morning was because people had already posted to it several times, and I didn't want to offend anybody by deleting their posts too.

EDIT: Nuked daryl60's posts. He is obviously a spambot, and to add insult to injury, his first post mentioned my name and a vague reference to my recent release. :x

SPECIAL NOTE TO ALL NEW USERS:
Please add some information to your profile page, this will help differentiate you from the spambots. Thank you. :)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

the spam bots are coming back been seeing a lot of their posts. can anyone ban them?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I will also be accepting PM's on here. Thank you.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Updated spam removal policy with a clause concerning the deletion of non-spam comments that respond to spam, which can create confusing context shifts after moderation has taken place. Thanks to Spirit for the suggestion.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Cobalt

Re: Spambot Policy and other such problems

Post by Cobalt »

Seems to be a spike in the spam last couple of weeks...I reported 2-3 posts over in the Qc forum....
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Spammers are back, please close

Maybe make a bugmenot - bugmenot account?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

New Registrations Closed.

I'm permanantly suspending the Open Registration Window program as well.

I'll look into maybe getting that invite registration mod installed, and setting up a bugmenot account as well.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Cobalt wrote:Seems to be a spike in the spam last couple of weeks...I reported 2-3 posts over in the Qc forum....
no, its not me doing it!