No-Kill Monsters

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
Entar

No-Kill Monsters

Post by Entar »

I was thinking about this earlier today, and I thought I would post it here to get your thoughts on it.

In certain games (and I couldn't name one for the life of me) there are certain monsters that are chasing you and/or attacking you, but you are either unable or restricted from attacking them, or else you either lose or are set back somehow, or perhaps they're just invincible. I wonder if this could be an interesting gameplay addition to certain mods or games today, where there is either something chasing you, forcing you to push forward at a steady (and perhaps faster-than-comfortable) rate, or something that is in the background, constantly pestering you, to make things a bit more difficult, depending on the style/design of the mod/game.

Your thought(s) on this?
kable

Post by kable »

Do you mean like Chthon or CyberDemon in D3?

Edit: Hello... anyway
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Chthon.....chasing people.....brilliant!
neg!ke

Post by neg!ke »

Why not. It can definitely add some dynamic to the gameplay. Of course it depends on how it's implemented.
The first example that came to my mind is the first encounter with one of those large flamethrower monsters in Half-Life. You're unable to kill it (at least at first) so you have to run away and outmaneuver it or lure it into some kind of transformer station to electrocute it.
However, such enemies can easily become annoying if the environment doesn't correspond well to that mode of playing, like when there's no cover or alternate routes.
No idea if it would work for Quake though, as we've been conditioned for ten years that everything that moves can and should be killed.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

First thing that came to my mind was the PacMan ghosts in Wolf3D ... dang things!
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Urre

Post by Urre »

What FrikaC said made me laugh out loud, and have this awesome idea of a level with a river of lava next to most parts of it, where Chthon chases you and throws lava balls, and you need to move your arse at all times to not get hit, with some obstacles to catch your breath behind. Some parts of the level could be away from the river, with regular Quake gameplay, and Chthon could sink back into the lava if he hasn't seen you in a while (gets bored or whatever), so once you get back to the river section, he soon rises up again and starts chasing you. My goodness the coolness. Now someone get a mapper on this awesome shit of a gameplay idea! That'd make me play Quake again, even if only for a moment.
I was once a Quake modder
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

How about Chthon in a wheel-chair chasing the player and hitting him with a bat. :lol:
Seriously, that would be great.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

You know, the Chthon idea is similar to the original idea id had for the dragon, appearing in open areas of the castle, large expanses of sky.... More of being chased and stalked than an outright battle.
Last edited by scar3crow on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Large expanses of guy... ohh scar3crow you're turning me on :oops:
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

The edit feature thwarts your comment! Alas, I should not be making posts right as I wake up, my mind rhymes naturally