Playing Quake on Windows XP Problems

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
Rodinius

Playing Quake on Windows XP Problems

Post by Rodinius »

Hi guys, I put this in the gameplay section because i hope its in the right place. I finally got my copy of Quake from a seller on ebay today, I installed it and was expecting to play it no problem. But when I click on it to play it a small MS-DOS window appears then disappears like a subliminal message almost. How can i gett Quake to work and for me to play it on my pc. I can get to the .mdl files alright so I can look at the models in QME, but I cant play the damn game :cry: i really dont know what to do.... Can anybody help me please??
Entar

Post by Entar »

Original Quake doesn't work in Windows XP (I use XP so I should know!). Just download glQuake or DarkPlaces or Vr2 or Tremor or some other popular client and you can go from there.

Also, if you haven't done any setup other than installing Quake, when you install and attempt to run an OpenGL Quake engine, you will most likely be a met with an error message like this:
My XXXXX card with latest drivers doesn't work with Vr2. What drivers do I need? (error "Genport I/O initialization failure" "non existent SST")
Unless you have like, a voodoo 3 video card, delete, move or rename (though I don't know why you'd want to keep it) the opengl32.dll file in your Quake directory. Then try running your Quake engine and you should be good to go.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Hi, you need either WinQuake or GLQuake to run under 2000 , XP or Vista. WinQuake is precisely like the DOS executable, runs in software and is kinda fugly. It can be found here:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/wq100.zip

Alternatively, if you have OpenGL capable hardware (if you computer is from this decade, it probably does) then you can use GLQuake, it can be found here:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/unsup/glq1114.exe
Rodinius

Post by Rodinius »

FrikaC wrote:Hi, you need either WinQuake or GLQuake to run under 2000 , XP or Vista. WinQuake is precisely like the DOS executable, runs in software and is kinda fugly. It can be found here:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/wq100.zip

Alternatively, if you have OpenGL capable hardware (if you computer is from this decade, it probably does) then you can use GLQuake, it can be found here:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/unsup/glq1114.exe
thanks guys but i need like a idiots guise to completely set up my pc to play quake if i get the open gl download if somebody can please :?
Rodinius

Post by Rodinius »

guise = guide sorry.
Rodinius

Post by Rodinius »

hi, I tried to do the following but a problem occured, it said something like glide 2.dxll was not found, re - installing it may solve the problem, so i tried to reinstall it but the same thing happened.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Delete the opengl32.dll file in your Quake directory.
Rodinius

Post by Rodinius »

cool thanks dude
Entar

Post by Entar »

Rodinius wrote:guise = guide sorry.
On the upper right hand side of your post, there's a little icon with a paper and pencil, it looks like this:
Click on that if you want to edit your post :)