Darkplaces Sound engine?

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
Mexicouger

Darkplaces Sound engine?

Post by Mexicouger »

Does Darkplaces have any features that allow you to dampen sound or add an echo effect in realtime? If it doesn't, how hard would it be to implement it?
leileilol

Re: Darkplaces Sound engine?

Post by leileilol »

Nope. There hasn't been as much attention to improving the sound dsp/mix code as there has been for graphics, only just recently it gained pitch shifting
i should not be here
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Well Dang. Sound pitching really got me excited and I love having it. Its one of my most favorite features that Darkplaces has gotten. I hope for more sound features because sound is really an element that can really make or break a game. Adding 3D sound modifications in realtime would be so nice to have, like being able to echo sounds due to room size and dampen sound at a distance. It just makes the moment feel more realistic.

If someone was to modify Darkplaces to add Sound features, what files might he/she need to change?
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

I voiced my opinion on underwater sounds in DP sounding different in the water than out, and for some sounds that occur in the water, only be heard if you are also in water. No plans for that yet. I did notice one of the older engines, I think Tomazquake, had the sounds coming in muffled if you were in the water and the sounds were happening above you on land, was kinda neat.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

There was an old version of TomazQuake that embedded FMOD, but for legal reasons was pulled shortly after.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
r00k

Post by r00k »

Sad, as you are allowed to use FMOD for non-commercial use.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

im pretty sure that could be done either with qc or csqc couldnt it?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

r00k wrote:Sad, as you are allowed to use FMOD for non-commercial use.
At least back then FMOD license was incompatible with GPL v2, although I understand it's not the case nowadays.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Maybe if you substituted a spawn () for every sound, have it do a findradius and or a visible test for clients, then if that worked, you would have to stuff the sounds to the player depending on their waterlevel and distance from the noise. That'd work for QC side generated sounds, but ambient sounds would still work the old way. Soundpitch would no longer be usefule either. Engine side sound code alternatives would likely be the way to go.
ceriux wrote:im pretty sure that could be done either with qc or csqc couldnt it?
r00k

Post by r00k »

OR
make alternate sounds for everything, and if you are under water all sounds use the secondary 'muffled' sound :O

i think it would be interesting to sit at dm3 bridge with vised water watching a battle and hear nothing then see people pop out of the water afterwards :)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Engoo at least has s_underwater which plays all sounds underwater at a lower pitch similar to how TomazQuake does it. Also, host_timescale now scales live sound but the endpoints/loopingpoints haven't been adjusted yet :(
i should not be here