Non-Killy Weapons

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Non-Killy Weapons

Post by FrikaC »

The remake of the KQP portal gun featured in the new Valve game and the hoopla surrounding the gravity gun in recent games has got me thinking about non-damaging world interactivity 'weapons'. More specifically what ones exist.

1. We've got the KQP or Portal style Portal Gun.
2. Gravity Gun (various games)
3. Grappling hook
4. Airfist

Any others?
SkinnedAlive

Post by SkinnedAlive »

The translocator from UT is an obvious one.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I recall a "friend maker" gun from 96... it converted monsters to your side...

Would the Deleter by the QCA maintainers count? Eh, it does kind of kill... still was a cool idea for a gun.

MegaTF had the magnet mines which did no damage, but it locked whoever stepped on it in place for a good 15 seconds or so.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

There was also that Tractor Beam thing.

Dunno if stuff like the harpoon and grapple hook also count.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

The harpoon I had already thought of, but forgot to list. And grapple hook counts, I even listed it as #4 in my short list.

Didn't think of the translocator, that's a good on SkinnedAlive.

While we're on the subject, any original ideas out there?
Last edited by FrikaC on Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Banana, makes the victim slip onto his hiney for a bit. It's different from the magnet because it keeps your momentum so you could like slip into a lava pit or something.

Don't forget Avatar's dream machine or so
i should not be here
HeadThump

Post by HeadThump »

tranq dart&crossbow, baton and riot prod from Deus Ex.

Shrinker ray from Duke Nuke'm

Hologram Player from different multiplayer mods

Original? Hmmm, an estrogen dart gun that turns your grunt into a wee girl, and a geratol dart that slows the player down (on the plus side he gets a Social Security check that he can redeem for weapons and ammo).

Oh, and a beam ray that turns your grunt into David Hasselhoff. The first player from the other team to spot you has no choice but to fallow you and fight for you because you are so damn good looking.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

FrikaC wrote:While we're on the subject, any original ideas out there?
Theres the thumper mine that I've planned for Token2. Basically it causes a ground quake within a limited radius, whilst maybe thumping an occasional grenade or three in a random direction. The primary effect of the mine though was to cause the player to have trouble moving by way of the ground quake, thereby making him easier to hit.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Axe of Love!
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

also, for my hunted mod, you could hold someone for a certain ammount of time and arrest them :P
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

SkinnedAlive wrote:The translocator from UT is an obvious one.
that COULD telefrag someone though. non-lethal with the power to be lethal.

special note: linky
Urre

Post by Urre »

Error wrote:...that COULD telefrag someone though. non-lethal with the power to be lethal...
Is that so bad though? I think that's kind of neat, a phenomenon I'd like to call "indirectly lethal weaponry/tools/gadgets".

I've thought about these things in the past, mainly inspired by the game Liero, as it had a bunch of weird weapons, a few of them non-lethal. Then there's the classics from Painkeep, but also some that require a bit more tactics to use, which is where it gets interesting, like the beartrap, turret and such. I recently played Ratchet & Clank 3 for the PS2, which had a bunch of quite strange weapons, such as the Suck gun (I think that was the name), which sucked in small enemies to use as ammo, or the agents of doom, which were small chicken robots that run over to enemies and explode. These things inspired me to start thinking of new tools and tougher to use weapons than just point and shoot, as it gets way more interesting this way. I might do a compilation of these kinds of weapons for Quake, rip out all conventional weapons and see how you might do against the Quake monsters. That could make for some interesting speedrunning too, only using "tools" kind of weapons.
I was once a Quake modder
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Hmm. Reminds me of a few weapons I had planned for hammy-bob quake. Including a broken trumpet that you played so poorly that it made the monsters vomit. And, what could probably be considered a lethal weapon, hard candy with razors not-so-well-concealed in it. You dropped it on the ground and monsters would pick it up and eat it, then start choking and bleeding from the neck and die.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

You see, the reason I mentioned this is because Valve's Portal and CocoT's preview of his mod on Quake Expo got me thinking... a puzzle mod using the various non-letal 'tools' that exist.

Could be interesting.
Urre

True that!

Post by Urre »

Yes.
I was once a Quake modder