Non-Killy Weapons

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
spamalam

Post by spamalam »

Not really a weapon, but a way of interacting with the environment. Although i don't think they exploited it very well, Red Faction needs a mention for destructable environments, like the way you could use rockets to blow a hole around a locked door.

Its a shame they didn't really use the destructable environments to any great degree.
neg!ke

Post by neg!ke »

inspired by a recent parasitic monster/trap idea:
weapons that alter the enemy's state, e.g. slowing him down, making him unable to use his weapons, blurring his vision or messing with his controls - for a short time, or until a certain antidote/health item is picked up...
possibly some of this has already been done in painkeep.
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

A long time ago i've made a weapon called "gravity bomb" (how creative...). It made everything it it's room had 1/4 of the gravity. Was very cool in multiplayer, as you can use it to jump high, or to keep your enemy in the air. You could even use it to get items (i had a very primitive physics system in place, so you could bounce items and stuff).
#EOP
McKilled

Post by McKilled »

in the killer pack there was also a freezer gun, i dont think it really hurt the enemies either .. until later :roll:
________
mac game
Last edited by McKilled on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tei

Post by Tei »

Not a tool, but i used to play the "morph" mod, so can make levels as fiend.

This can be in use for a puzzle game, because different quake characters can do different things.

fiend -> jump
zombi -> cross lava/spikes/fire
etc.
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Tei wrote:Not a tool, but i used to play the "morph" mod, so can make levels as fiend.

This can be in use for a puzzle game, because different quake characters can do different things.

fiend -> jump
etc.
That's a great concept for a potentially awesome mod that someone should make. 3rd person adventure along with morphing! :D
Entar

Post by Entar »

Yeah, I was thinking earlier about making one where it's third person (maybe platformer? I dunno) and you get past certain puzzles and situations using special abilities that only certain Quake monsters have, so you morph. Maybe use the ogre's grenade launcher to grenade jump, or use the fiend to jump real far.

I think this is the product of seeing Tei's post right after watching that V*lve Portal video...

Heheheh, V*lve. Just like T******e...
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Entar wrote:Yeah, I was thinking earlier about making one where it's third person (maybe platformer? I dunno) and you get past certain puzzles and situations using special abilities that only certain Quake monsters have, so you morph. Maybe use the ogre's grenade launcher to grenade jump, or use the fiend to jump real far.

I think this is the product of seeing Tei's post right after watching that V*lve Portal video...

Heheheh, V*lve. Just like T******e...
Get to work :D
Entar

Post by Entar »

You gots it
INU

Post by INU »

South Park (N64, and possibly other platforms?) that was made a while ago had alot of "non-killy" weapons with alternate fire modes.... I'll just rattle off a few that I've remembered...

+Snowballs - Throw snow balls. Alt-fire are yellow snowballs which act like grenades (the character actually unzips his pants before throwing)
+Dodgeball - Throw a bouncy ball. Alt-fire is a faster, bouncier dodge ball
+Cow Launcher - Fire a cow that will land on top of other things... Interesting in split-screen multi-player, where you can see the effects on both the attacker's and victim's screen. Attacker sees the other player being sat on by the cow, and the victim sees the cow's ass (lots of detail). Alt-fire was sort of a gas-grenade thing.
+Alien death ray? - Forgot what it was called... It was one of those old-style record players. When you shot the opponent, it made them sing a song while dancing.

In a Q2 mod, I read up on (but didn't download) the BFG was modified so it would transmutate the thing you fired at into a random item. In Q3A, the Bouncy mod made every almost weapon non-lethal (the exception being that you nock a player into a wall or into bad things, or by freezing one with plasma and breaking with the shotty or rail).
TargetPractice

Post by TargetPractice »

A couple ideas, which while neither exactly 'tools usable as weapons' (See dictionary entry on 'pipe wrench') or entirely FPS references, still fit with the theme of 'Utility damage techniques':

1. Anyone here played "Doukutsu Monotigari", aka "Cave Story"? (Not spam! It's freeware and a game I'm referencing!) In there, the machinegun, when fully powered, can be used as a jetpack if you fire downwards. Or, if you haven't played 'Cave Story', Duke Nukem 2's flamethrower does the same thing. (Who needs rocket splash damage anyway?)

2. I've seen a couple mods which employ gravity vortexes (vortices?) as weapons; fling them off, and everyone in near sight is afflicted by orbital physics. If they reach the center, they gib, and if not, they go flying. Either way, less then nice.

3. Not so much an tool as a general concept kinda from RL physics (Evile, I know): Maybe it would be possible in a mod, if someone impacts a wall at high enough speed, to have the resultant damage equal the dot product of the velocity damage vector and the vector perpendicular to the wall?(Or, alternately, just have (absolute value of ((damage vector * impacted_wall_angle * sin of angle of impact)))?
(Of course, to do this, I would also suggest having the function redefine the new velocity to be the dot product of (the damage vector || the original velocity) and (the wall itself)?

4. There was a recentish(within the last 5 years) game which had a screw-shaped weapon that could invert the gravity of a map for a while. (The character hung onto the weapon while it was in effect.)

5. Tenchu, I believe, had poisoned rice balls which would paralyze any guard that ate them for a few seconds.

6. a music player that hypnotizes the player that grabs it for about 5-10 seconds?(Depending on the effect of hypnosis, long enough to possibly score a kill)

7. If someone fired an indirect-fire grappling hook over something (say, a support beam), hooked another player ingame, and killed the second player w/ hook damage, would that count as a different death weapon (i.e. "FrikaC strung up Player by his toenails")?.

8. the 'pertume' sprays from NOLF.

9. Rope arrows(from Thief)?

10.ROTT's Excalibat!

11. Remember the 'Worms' series of games? Pretty much every 'tool' weapon in there fits.

Let me sleep on this and think of others...
I never thought hearing pained, fearful screams could make one feel so... uplifted.

What?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

A phosphorescent paint gun, so if you shoot a player with it, he will glows (or be always a full bright model) in the dark.

A ghost gun: shoot to somebody with that and he becomes unable to pick anything (weapons, ammo, medikits, etc) or interact with the world at all during some time (a possible compensation would be allow this player to noclip and wander across the level).

magnetogun: shoots a lightning that magnetizes the player, so when he walks near an item the item is tagged to his body like a magnet, making he runs slower every time something is pulled to him until he becomes a sitting duck with a dozen medikits or ammo boxes glued to his body :P

blind gun: fires a dart that makes the player totally blind for say, 30 seconds.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
TargetPractice

Post by TargetPractice »

There is an error in my impact physics from earlier: The player shouldn't slide, but instead bounce. My logic(Probably erroneous, but...) says that the relative damage value should still work, despite it being an elastic collision.

Another idea: Super Coffee! If caught by a player(flung at him), it causes him to suffer inaccuracy from everything shaking!(Probably would increase speed, though... Possibly also appliable as a [usable] powerup?)
I never thought hearing pained, fearful screams could make one feel so... uplifted.

What?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

RenegadeC wrote:
Tei wrote:Not a tool, but i used to play the "morph" mod, so can make levels as fiend.

fiend -> jump
etc.
That's a great concept for a potentially awesome mod that someone should make. 3rd person adventure along with morphing! :D
Yeah, maybe adding a morph power up to the game that, combined with the severed head of a monster, makes you morph into the beast for 30 seconds. So, to morph you need to gib a monster AND grab the power up. A great idea to a mod.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spike

Post by Spike »

years ago back in sixthform, one of my friends suggested a weapon he dubbed 'The Diskumbobulator'. Instead of doing any damage, all it did was teleport monsters / players to a small distance infront of the player. Of course, if there were multiple monsters they'd all get telefragged, but if there was only one, you'd have to switch weapons quickly. Also fun in multiplayer as you can drop other people into lava. :D